Schools Viewing Where I Applied

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jasmine

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
This info will show up when I send schools my AMCAS - I sent my AMCAS to 25 schools - is this bad/good/won't affect my application?

Members don't see this ad.

I did the same, only applied to 11 schools. I couldn't care less if the schools see where else I applied.

AMCAS wont release the schools however if you decide to send paper copies of your AMCAS...i personallly recommend removing that area...

for some schools it has no bearing, for other schools who want to be sure that YOUR attending their school, it causes a problem :D

Members don't see this ad :)
I wouldn't worry about it. Unless you are EDP, most schools realize that you are applying to more than one school.

So remove it entirely is your advice? What have others been doing when you send the paper AMCAS?

i removed it and then typed in the school that i was sending it too and listed what program i was applying for, ie regular md.

i would do this just to avoid a possibility of them taking offence (granted they shouldn't, but we are all human).

for example, from what i have heard, bu and tufts are pretty uptight if you have applied to both schools or to the state school, it is almost like they feel insecure about being somebodies backup school, and i imagine that there are probably other schools out there too that have the same complex.

ps, to get rid of it i just made a copy with a white sheet of paper covering all of my schools so that only the school list was "whited-out" and then i typed in the school where i sent the app.

good luck.

I have been wondering the same thing. When I sent Medical College of Wisconsin a copy of my AMCAS, I took out the designated medical school section (using a photocopier). However, they requested me to fax in a copy of this section. So since then, although I'd rather not, I have been including that section when I send a copy of the AMCAS App.

Hope this helps. I'd be interested to hear what others are doing.

What the heck? Some schools request that you include them? Isn't that confidential information? For those who didn't include them, did the schools say anything?

for example, from what i have heard, bu and tufts are pretty uptight if you have applied to both schools or to the state school, it is almost like they feel insecure about being somebodies backup school, and i imagine that there are probably other schools out there too that have the same complex.

First I would like to know why a medical school would care if you did apply to rival medical schools. How do they know which one is your backup anyways. Its not like you have a "B-UP" next to the school. Plus I believe if the schools see that you are competitive and applying to other schools they might make a greater effort to recruit you, especially private colleges. What do the medical schools expect, you only apply to one school. Maybe if you sampled the country and applied to 20+ schools you might think twice about attaching your list of schools. I could see the adcoms saying boy this kid doesn't know where he wants to go. As far as 11 schools, which is the average amount of school applied to through AAMCAS, I see no harm with schools seeing this info.

Simpleton is no fool. All schools expect that you are applying to other medical schools and the fact of them being in the same town is irrelevant. However, a possible contributing factor to this PERCEPTION of a BU-Tufts rivalry is that, while BU has 135 openings for its first-year class, no more than about 70 are offered on the open market. Why is this? About 45 seats are taken through formal commitments to BU's combined BA/MD and other special programs with their undergraduate school. About 15 of the remaining spots are also usually offered to BU undergraduates or from cooperating institutions. Thus BU might appear to be rejecting many applicants not in these categories who may also be applying to Tufts. I am NOT saying that there is no BU-Tufts rivalry, although I doubt there is, but that alternative hypotheses might explain the perception.

For folks intending to be physicians, it is important to develop the habit of not jumping to conclusions without consideration of other possibilties, unlikely though some may appear, to explain phenomena. Indeed, that trait often distinguishes the best diagnosticians and scientists from the run-of-the-mill.