Schools where cars are NOT necessary

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Nevadanteater

biochemical engine
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've not owned a car for about 4 years and I hope to continue, well, forever...

Anyone know which schools are in an area that has good enough public transport or is dense enough that using a bike is reasonable?

Members don't see this ad.

I've lived in Madison, WI for the last 4 years without a car and haven't had a problem. The school is close enough to downtown that you can walk pretty much everywhere and public transit is good enough to get you every where else.

Members don't see this ad :)
Baltimore, Washington D.C. and Chicago, for sure. Also, many Med Schools have housing on campus or very near: Houston, San Antonio, Texas Tech, Miami, Rochester, Ann Arbor, Arizona, etc.

Probably UCSF...

Chicago. Trains and buses are everywhere.

Whoever said Miami is out of their mind. Florida is NOT the place to live and think you can make it without a car, especially South Florida.

U of Miami has housing on campus for Med Students. And it's easy to get around Coral Gables without a car.

Shuttle busses from campus go directly to Jackson Memorial, University of Miami Hospital, Cedars Medical Center, each facility within walking distance.

City busses go from campus to the airport, downtown, malls, shopping centers, Key Biscayne, Miami Beach, South Beach, Dolphin Stadium, etc. But, if one needs to get around the larger Metro Dade area, a car would be nice...

Whoever said Miami is out of their mind. Florida is NOT the place to live and think you can make it without a car, especially South Florida.

i know right. that's what i hate about florida.

i love florida but i hate the fact that you got to have a car to go around ( and it's hot as hell) :p...

in the Northern part of FLa, everything is like 10 miles away.

rawr...

i just like walking around i guess and i'm used to it...

I've lived in Madison, WI for the last 4 years without a car and haven't had a problem. The school is close enough to downtown that you can walk pretty much everywhere and public transit is good enough to get you every where else.
You're leaving out the fact that UWisc requires 16 weeks of away rotations in order to graduate, so you would have to have a car.

I'd say Chicago or New York schools.

You're leaving out the fact that UWisc requires 16 weeks of away rotations in order to graduate, so you would have to have a car.

I'd say Chicago or New York schools.

That's a great point...there are several schools that have rotations out in rural areas or at least far enough away that you would need your own transportation. I know Maryland is like this, and several others. Check out MSAR under the "cirriculum highlights" section for each school.

UNC requires quite a few away rotations in rural areas as well.

Members don't see this ad :)
I've not owned a car for about 4 years and I hope to continue, well, forever...

Anyone know which schools are in an area that has good enough public transport or is dense enough that using a bike is reasonable?

Most big cities (NYC, DC, etc.) have really good public transportation. In fact if you're planning on going to medical school at those places, it would probably be best to leave your car at home so that you don't get towed every other day ;)

If you don't have a car, I think you can check with your medical schools to see if they have a car-sharing program where you can carpool with your fellow classmates. If not, some cities that I know (Washington DC) have rental companies like Zipcar where you can just pick up and drop off cars near rail stations and airports.

Baltimore, Washington D.C. and Chicago, for sure. Also, many Med Schools have housing on campus or very near: Houston, San Antonio, Texas Tech, Miami, Rochester, Ann Arbor, Arizona, etc.

Mannn, even if there's housing provided near the med school campus, I cannot even fathom how one would LIVE without a car in Houston. It's a city made for drivers, not pedestrians.

U of Miami has housing on campus for Med Students. And it's easy to get around Coral Gables without a car.

Shuttle busses from campus go directly to Jackson Memorial, University of Miami Hospital, Cedars Medical Center, each facility within walking distance.

City busses go from campus to the airport, downtown, malls, shopping centers, Key Biscayne, Miami Beach, South Beach, Dolphin Stadium, etc. But, if one needs to get around the larger Metro Dade area, a car would be nice...

I forgot to mention that a lot of medical schools have shuttle services between their medical centers and their main campus at various times of the day (like between 6:00 am and 11:00 pm). Also, some apartment complexes provide shuttle services for their customers to airports, train stations, and malls. Unless you have to drive out of town every weekend, don't let this consideration keep you from going to the school of your choice.

Mannn, even if there's housing provided near the med school campus, I cannot even fathom how one would LIVE without a car in Houston. It's a city made for drivers, not pedestrians.

yea, but most stuff around the med center is reachable by rail. my husband doesn't drive and i don't really think it will be a problem for him to get to work and school.

also, most apartment complexes have a shuttle to schools. i think UTH even has their own shuttle that rounds the major living areas.

Seriously!!!!

You definitely need a car in Houston regardless of where you live. People should remember that you will sometimes want to do more than study. The fact that Houston has one the worst public trans systems is quite annoying and representative of the fact that city officials have always seen Houston as a sprawling mass of blah!

Seriously!!!!

You definitely need a car in Houston regardless of where you live. People should remember that you will sometimes want to do more than study. The fact that Houston has one the worst public trans systems is quite annoying and representative of the fact that city officials have always seen Houston as a sprawling mass of blah!

I think that sums it up right there. Sure you can survive without a car at a lot of schools across the country if all you wanted to do was travel between school, home, and shop at stores around it. But honestly, do you expect those are the only things you're going to do? You're going to want to get away from school and the city every so often.

By the way...the OP said he'd prefer to never get a car again. Is it even realistic to live the rest of your life as a physician in this country without a car? Seriously, let me know how that turns out for you...

Miami? You are kidding, right? Regardless of whether you find a place near the campus, you WILL need a car. I would never ever try to take a public bus here.

Jeez, I would have thought that most people hate public transportation. Moving cesspools I tell you, can't control the speed of travel, can't control the temperature or music.

I need a school where I can drive to with no problems. Traffic is the bane of my existence and so are parking meters.

Jeez, I would have thought that most people hate public transportation. Moving cesspools I tell you, can't control the speed of travel, can't control the temperature or music.

I need a school where I can drive to with no problems. Traffic is the bane of my existence and so are parking meters.

I would drive if I could find a parking space for less than the cost of an apartment here in New York or gas for less than $4/gal (I remember a time several years ago when gas was less than $1 /gal - hmm the good ol' days). Anyways, walking's not so bad, it helps you stay in shape. Besides, my iPod is like my personal stereo system.

i know right. that's what i hate about florida.

i love florida but i hate the fact that you got to have a car to go around ( and it's hot as hell) :p...

in the Northern part of FLa, everything is like 10 miles away.

rawr...

i just like walking around i guess and i'm used to it...

Huh? Northern part? Are you really sure about that? lol I have to drive 35 minutes to get to the grocery store. 45 minutes to see a movie.

Any major city it should be doable. Now, after a long long time at the hospital, it might be your personal hell trying to commute the extra 40 or 50 minutes and be a slave to bus/train schedules.

I AGREE!

Whoever said you can get around Miami (or anywhere in Florida, period) without a car is lying. I lived in South Florida 18 years and I guarantee you, your life will be a living hell without a car! Even if you never leave campus for four years, it is constantly raining and its humid 95% of the time! You'll never get to class without smelling like a dirty gym sock. Don't do it.

OP I feel your pain. I HATE Driving from the day I started and I can't wait to get out of here.

My point exactly. The only form of public transportation I would take is the MetroRail because it is pretty reliable and it completely bypasses traffic.

My point exactly. The only form of public transportation I would take is the MetroRail because it is pretty reliable and it completely bypasses traffic.

Metrorail is better than the buses, but it's even LESS extensive than the buses (and the buses already suck as far as extension). For a city of its size, public transportation in Miami is seriously lacking. Metrorail or bus, it doesn't matter. You're still going to have to do a considerable amount of walking or even driving to get to the station.

I admit UM is right next to the Metrorail station so it MIGHT work, but God forbid if you ever want to leave the campus one day..... :thumbdown:

You could always try London. The public transport there is simply amazing.

I think college towns could also work. Ann Arbor? New Haven maybe? They're not as urban as NYC/Boston/DC/Philly (and therefore don't have as sophisticated of a public transport system), but college towns as a whole are pretty walkable and pedestrian-friendly, in my opinion.

Huh? Northern part? Are you really sure about that? lol I have to drive 35 minutes to get to the grocery store. 45 minutes to see a movie.

Any major city it should be doable. Now, after a long long time at the hospital, it might be your personal hell trying to commute the extra 40 or 50 minutes and be a slave to bus/train schedules.

Im talking about Jacksonville.

It's sucks.

and yes, the HUMIDITY is SOOOO OBNOXIOUS.

Your face will look like you washed your face with lard.

ok i guess not ten miles away... let me measure distance by time (since that's what we do in FL) lol

yep true, malls are far 30 mins away etc etc...

though well i don't go out that much so meh...

I don't know about Georgetown or Howard, but at GW it would be very difficult to get through 3rd year without a car. The first two years would be no problem, but a lot of the hospital rotations are in Virginia or in parts of DC that aren't readily Metro accessible. I also know that living in Georgetown without a car is a pain because it's isolated from the rest of the city.

I really think you'd need a car during 3rd year at most places.

At Maryland, there are people that get by without a car, but be warned that there is potential to get sent "off campus" for rotations 3rd and 4th year and it can be a hassle if you don't have transportation. When possible, the powers that be try to take into account who does and doesn't have transportation, but its just not always possible to keep all the non-car people on-site. In years 1 and 2, there is still potential to be off-site for the ICM portion of the curriculum (Introduction to Clinical Medicine) but carpooling is somewhat easier.

This is probably somewhat true with all state medical schools that have more than just one hospital affiliated with the medical school/university system.

Is it even realistic to live the rest of your life as a physician in this country without a car? Seriously, let me know how that turns out for you...

It is only realistic if you make it realistic.

I lived in Orange County for a year and some change without a car. If I can do it there I can do it anywhere (at least until my body gives out). It is just a matter of knowing what is and isn't important to you.

What can I say? I'm a dirty dirty hippie...

It is only realistic if you make it realistic.

I lived in Orange County for a year and some change without a car. If I can do it there I can do it anywhere (at least until my body gives out). It is just a matter of knowing what is and isn't important to you.

What can I say? I'm a dirty dirty hippie...

Well I at least agree with that part....I've lived in OC my entire life and I had a symbiotic relationship with my car... Without it, I am nothing!:laugh:

Well I at least agree with that part....I've lived in OC my entire life and I had a symbiotic relationship with my car... Without it, I am nothing!:laugh:

Haha, seriously. You should see what people do/say when you tell them that you don't have a car in Orange County. To be honest it was a bit rough in the summer, riding 14 miles/day, but you get used to it.

Haha, seriously. You should see what people do/say when you tell them that you don't have a car in Orange County. To be honest it was a bit rough in the summer, riding 14 miles/day, but you get used to it.

As a fellow UCI anteater, I'll admit trying to find parking there for 4 years made me want to ditch my car sometimes...

Seriously!!!!

My parents are coming up with the excuse of "What free time will you have to do that stuff? You're going to school to study, not play."

How do I counter THAT argument? :rolleyes:

My parents are coming up with the excuse of "What free time will you have to do that stuff? You're going to school to study, not play."

How do I counter THAT argument? :rolleyes:

Tell them that you would like to eat. A big use I get out of my vehicle is going to the grocery store because unless you live right by it, it's a little bit of a pain to deal with that and a bad bus system.

Tell them that you would like to eat. A big use I get out of my vehicle is going to the grocery store because unless you live right by it, it's a little bit of a pain to deal with that and a bad bus system.

Or maybe wasting time ON that bus system for anything besides going to school... :p

My point in listing the schools above was to note that one can live on, or very near, the med school campus. And, shuttle busses do go from most campuses to 3rd and 4th year hospitals.

As for quality of life issues, except for campuses in the big northern cities (and SF), one should have a car.