Schools where no news is good news

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Azimuthal431

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
At what schools can not hearing anything back yet after being complete be construed as something positive? For example, I read that some schools wait till March before rejecting everyone (just in case a VIP or benefactor of the school requests adcoms to interview someone). On the other hand, some schools (Tulane comes to mind) reject a lot of people very early on.

I'm still waiting to hear back from several schools (Jeff, Toledo, Brown, Dartmouth, Miami, Stanford, Columbia, Sinai, Tufts, Rochester) after being complete late July and want to know whether or not this should be interpreted as a silent rejection. To be clear: I have not been given the hold status at these schools - I have heard nothing.

Many thanks for your input.

Members don't see this ad.

I didn't hear anything from Jefferson until January of my app year and I was complete in September.

Dartmouth - it is good news, at least in the sense that if you were rejected, they would have told you.

Stanford - they have not sent any rejections yet, they have said on the phone that they don't know when they will start sending them.

Columbia - no rejections until mid-March.

Don't know about the rest of them.

Members don't see this ad :)
At what schools can not hearing anything back yet after being complete be construed as something positive? For example, I read that some schools wait till March before rejecting everyone (just in case a VIP or benefactor of the school requests adcoms to interview someone). On the other hand, some schools (Tulane comes to mind) reject a lot of people very early on.

I'm still waiting to hear back from several schools (Jeff, Toledo, Brown, Dartmouth, Miami, Stanford, Columbia, Sinai, Tufts, Rochester) after being complete late July and want to know whether or not this should be interpreted as a silent rejection. To be clear: I have not been given the hold status at these schools - I have heard nothing.

Dartmouth for sure. I've been holding in since late August while there have been waves and trickles of rejections and II. No news is definitely good news, for now at least.

Hate to dump a bunch of coal in your stocking, but not hearing back by now is probably unoptimistic news at like 90% of schools. Just being real with you.

Ive gotten rejections from dartmouth, rochester and brown and i was complete first days of nov

Hate to dump a bunch of coal in your stocking, but not hearing back by now is probably unoptimistic news at like 90% of schools. Just being real with you.
I agree with your realistic perspective, but I also get the sense that there is a weird position between being rejected and invited. I've heard stories of people avoiding waves of rejections then finally getting an II in Jan or late in the season.

Dartmouth - it is good news, at least in the sense that if you were rejected, they would have told you.

Stanford - they have not sent any rejections yet, they have said on the phone that they don't know when they will start sending them.

Columbia - no rejections until mid-March.

Don't know about the rest of them.

They also told me on the phone that lots of people have already been rejected at this point, and they simply just need to be notified.

They also told me on the phone that lots of people have already been rejected at this point, and they simply just need to be notified.
Yes, should have made that clearer. The 'who' is known, the 'when' is not. Gaaa! :D

I'm still waiting to hear back from several schools (Jeff, Toledo, Brown, Dartmouth, Miami, Stanford, Columbia, Sinai, Tufts, Rochester) after being complete late July and want to know whether or not this should be interpreted as a silent rejection.

I can comment on some of the schools I also applied to.

Brown: Reject quickly, no news is good news.

Dartmouth: Reject quickly, no news is good news.

Mount Sinai: Does not reject until Spring, likely silent rejection.

Tufts: Does not reject until Spring, Likely silent rejection.

Rochester: I think that they reject quickly (they rejected me quickly anyway :p), no news is good news.

Reactions: 1 user

Certainly, though I think the OP doesn't mean that not hearing anything is actually good news. Rather, I think they just want to know where they are still in the running. Most schools probably only have something like 10% or fewer interview invitations to hand out now but that is still something.

they have said on the phone that they don't know when they will start sending them.
12h.jpg
Hm, the bots are getting more realistic names... Still - Amanda Ross - male? :nono:

Reactions: 1 user

Why is that? Most schools specifically state that their interview season extends to Feb-March. Sometimes this is for the waitlist (which is better than rejected) and other times it seems like its for acceptances

When I applied, Cornell slowly rejected people as the year progresses, so if you hadn't heard from them, you are still likely in the pool.