Schools with GPA 25-50%tile but MCAT >90%tile

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

premed9352

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
What would you advise to do in this situation for these schools (where I am in 90%+ for MCAT but only 25-50% for GPA)? cGPA 3.71 BCPM 3.65, mainly due to low 3.4 1st year gpa, upward trend almost every single semester thereafter. Non HYPS top 5 research university. MCAT 520. What are my chances and should I try to explain my grades in secondaries?

Members don't see this ad.

You don't need to do anything. Your MCAT is phenomenal and your GPA is still good, even better when you consider the upward trend. If you try and explain grades that are already good I think it would make you look neurotic. Good luck!

Reactions: 3 users
I don't think this is an issue. My GPA is 3.4, and MCAT is just a hair above yours, so that's more of a problem. Worst semester was a 2.2. I think when people talk low GPA, they're talking below 3.5. At least you are above the 10th percentile GPA for most schools!

Members don't see this ad :)
upwards trending 3.7/520 from an Ivy caliber undergrad can apply absolutely anywhere. Don't freak out and def don't try to "explain your grades" in secondaries.

Reactions: 4 users
What would you advise to do in this situation for these schools (where I am in 90%+ for MCAT but only 25-50% for GPA)? cGPA 3.71 BCPM 3.65, mainly due to low 3.4 1st year gpa, upward trend almost every single semester thereafter. Non HYPS top 5 research university. MCAT 520. What are my chances and should I try to explain my grades in secondaries?
I don't have advice, I just had to ask why you would say it's one of 6 (US news tie for 5th) and then narrow it down to two schools. Doesn't that defeat the purpose (protecting anonymity) of vaguely saying "Top 5"?

Reactions: 1 user
I don't have advice, I just had to ask why you would say it's one of 6 (US news tie for 5th) and then narrow it down to two schools. Doesn't that defeat the purpose (protecting anonymity) of vaguely saying "Top 5"?

Yea like "I went to a Top 5 school on the West Coast" lol

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user
Aim high!!!!

After seeing things like "top 35 school" or "public Ivy" I'm not even phased any more
I've also seen people describe their schools ranking, mention some attributes, and eventually I realize that there aren't any colleges which match the description in that US News rank (plz don't judge for how much time I spent on CollegeConfidential learning basic attributes of different colleges okay).
I get that rankings are meaningless, but what's the point of bringing them up if you're using them wrong?

What is a public ivy? Saying something like, "I went to the Harvard of Charlottesville, VA" ?

The doctor I shadowed for three months always called Princeton the UVA of the North (he was a UVA grad). Man, I miss that guy.

What is a public ivy? Saying something like, "I went to the Harvard of Charlottesville, VA" ?

Some dude wrote a book like 30 years ago about the best public schools in the country, and called them "public Ivies"

So yeah kinda, it's a way to make it sound super prestigious to attend a place like U of Vermont

Someone made a list in 1985. I'd say UCLA, UCB, UMich, W&M, UVA, UNC-CH, but wait 5 minutes and someone will point out that Miami OH was on the list, and UWash is pretty great!! People just can't comprehend the quality of a college without comparing it to an athletic league consisting of 8 excellent but very different colleges.

People just can't comprehend the quality of a college without comparing it to an athletic league
To be fair, it's sort of a new phenomenon for schools elsewhere in the country to rival Ivies (with a few major exceptions like Stanford and MIT). You go back a couple decades and places like Edit: Northwestern and Vandy had 30-40% acceptance rates. Having ~20 places with top 1-2% SAT averages and acceptance rates in the teens or lower is new.

Last edited:
Some dude wrote a book like 30 years ago about the best public schools in the country, and called them "public Ivies"

So yeah kinda, it's a way to make it sound super prestigious to attend a place like U of Vermont

Good God. I guess along the same lines, my sister went to Tufts for grad school and she insists on calling it a "mini Ivy." Always worth a good laugh