Dismiss Notice
Check out the new Application Assistant, where you can calculate your LizzyM score, see how you rank compared to other applicants, and see a list of schools where similar students were accepted.

Schools with mandatory lecture attendence or non-recorded lectures

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical Allopathic [ MD ]' started by JingleChips, 05.20.14.

1. SDN is made possible through sponsorships and our volunteers. Learn about SDN's nonprofit mission.
  1. JingleChips

JingleChips 2+ Year Member

Medical Student (Accepted)
    I searched and got a few hits, but I wanted to make a thread just to see if there are any other schools with mandatory lecture attendance policies (or equivalently, non-mandatory lectures but no recorded lectures).

I am talking about straight up lectures btw, obviously not any labs/pbl/clinical training which are usually always mandatory and very helpful to attend.

So far what I have gathered is :
    Rochester - Lectures are not recorded (but not mandatory), thus essentially you need to go to lecture.
    Hofstra - Mandatory Lecture Attendance
    Oakland - 70% Attendance Rate Mandatory
    Case Western
    Mayo

Can anyone else chime in? I need to remove about 6 schools from my preliminary list and I am going to do that based on attendance policy.

EDIT: Specific Schools that I'm curious about: (I know for certain most of these are non-mandatory but don't have time to double check my sources and remove them).

Jefferson
    Boston U
    Albert Einstein
    Rowan
    NYU
    Cornell
    Pitt
    Tufts
    Penn State
    Temple
    Penn
    Toledo
    Univ of Cincinnati
    Dartmouth
    Duke
    Rush
    Oakland
    Virginia Tech
    NYMC
    Stony Brook
    Georgetown
    George Washington
    VCU
    Wake Forest
    Drexel
    Commonwealth
    Albany
    Loyola

Last edited: 05.20.14
  2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. TheThirdLevel

TheThirdLevel 5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I think Oakland William Beaumont has some type of attendance policy. It's not hard and fast, but it's up to each course director. The lectures are still recorded, but there may be a 70% attendance policy or something.

4. snowflakes

snowflakes SDN Gold Donor Gold Donor 2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I think Case has mandatory attendance for lectures.

Why don't you just post your preliminary list, and see if people know the attendance policies of those schools, instead of asking such a general question? It might be easier for you to find out about the specific schools you're interested in that way.

5. JingleChips

Will give them a call/check their website, thanks.

Done.

6. r0703

r0703

Medical Student
    Drexel & albany don't have attendance policies

7. JingleChips

great. already removed rochester, hofstra, and oakland from my list. still have room to remove a couple more schools

8. OneTwoThreeFour

OneTwoThreeFour 2+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Medical Student
    FWIW- according to the students I've talked to, attendance at Rochester classes after the first block of courses hovers around 50% (same as most medical schools).
    So, definitely not mandatory

AspiringERMD likes this.
  9. surely

surely MD Class of 2018 5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Wake Forest is recorded.

10. giraffesuptop

giraffesuptop SDN Gold Donor Gold Donor 2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Wake forest doesn't offer lecture recordings according to MSAR 2015

11. surely

Medical Student
    I know, I saw that myself, but the MSAR is unfortunately wrong. I asked about this during my interview day and my student tour guide confirmed that lectures ARE recorded and hosted on the Tegrity system. If you check the 2013-2014 Wake Forest application thread, you'll see a comment from me around the beginning of September where I point out that the MSAR is incorrect on this particular point. A current student responded that the recording system is entirely student-run, and therefore not listed on the MSAR. Which didn't make sense to me then and doesn't make sense to me now.

Linky: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/thr...plication-thread.1004347/page-6#post-14422007

12. kyamh

kyamh 2+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Medical Student
    You can also buy a digital recorder and record the audio yourself - that's what all the cool kids did abroad. You'll have to be sure to ask the instructor permission, of course.

13. surely

Medical Student
    But then you have to actually go to lecture, which a lot of people find inefficient.

14. kyamh

kyamh 2+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Medical Student
    Or find a friend who always goes ;) There's a lecture-loving student like me in every group.

surely likes this.
  15. Amygdarya

Amygdarya 7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Cornell:
    - while the administration highly encourages lecture attendance, in reality lectures are not mandatory, so only about half the students end up going to them (now, PBL and other small group activities etc. are a different matter, these are mandatory);
    - most lectures are video recorded (the exceptions are patient presentations and expert lectures).

The only school with 100% mandatory class attendance (which includes *everything*) that I know of is CCLCM, otherwise known as the College Track at Case.

16. kyamh

kyamh 2+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Medical Student
    I think Mayo also has mandatory attendance.

17. Amygdarya

Amygdarya 7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I also think that not only mandatory vs. non-mandatory attendance should be considered, but also class schedule. I.e. whether all class activities, mandatory or non-mandatory, are completed by 12-1 pm or whether you have to be at school till 5-6 pm (I've heard horror stories :eek:). And, speaking of schedules, while Case has mandatory attendance, most days are only half-day and you get Thursdays as a "free" day for independent studying.

18. nemo123

nemo123 5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I remember someone asked the current students about this on my interview day, and they emphatically said that this was a myth and attending lectures is not mandatory at Mayo. However, they did say that due to the small class size, it's easy to know who's missing, and they said the administration prefers that all of their students attend lecture (out of respect for the lecturers who's taking their time out to teach).

19. aspirantmed

aspirantmed

Medical Student
    Maybe it's not required, but more or less mandatory due to (a) the small class size and (b) the use of ARS (audience response system, or 'clickers') in their classes. I was told by several students at interview day that going to class here was not optional, and that this was something to think about when comparing Mayo to other schools.

About the ads