Schools with mandatory lecture attendence or non-recorded lectures

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JingleChips

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I searched and got a few hits, but I wanted to make a thread just to see if there are any other schools with mandatory lecture attendance policies (or equivalently, non-mandatory lectures but no recorded lectures).

I am talking about straight up lectures btw, obviously not any labs/pbl/clinical training which are usually always mandatory and very helpful to attend.

So far what I have gathered is :
Rochester - Lectures are not recorded (but not mandatory), thus essentially you need to go to lecture.
Hofstra - Mandatory Lecture Attendance
Oakland - 70% Attendance Rate Mandatory
Case Western
Mayo

Can anyone else chime in? I need to remove about 6 schools from my preliminary list and I am going to do that based on attendance policy.

EDIT: Specific Schools that I'm curious about: (I know for certain most of these are non-mandatory but don't have time to double check my sources and remove them).

Jefferson
Boston U
Albert Einstein
Rowan
NYU
Cornell
Pitt
Tufts
Penn State
Temple
Penn
Toledo
Univ of Cincinnati
Dartmouth
Duke
Rush
Oakland
Virginia Tech
NYMC
Stony Brook
Georgetown
George Washington
VCU
Wake Forest
Drexel
Commonwealth
Albany
Loyola

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I think Oakland William Beaumont has some type of attendance policy. It's not hard and fast, but it's up to each course director. The lectures are still recorded, but there may be a 70% attendance policy or something.

I think Case has mandatory attendance for lectures.

Why don't you just post your preliminary list, and see if people know the attendance policies of those schools, instead of asking such a general question? It might be easier for you to find out about the specific schools you're interested in that way.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think Oakland William Beaumont has some type of attendance policy. It's not hard and fast, but it's up to each course director. The lectures are still recorded, but there may be a 70% attendance policy or something.

Will give them a call/check their website, thanks.

I think Case has mandatory attendance for lectures.

Why don't you just post your preliminary list, and see if people know the attendance policies of those schools, instead of asking such a general question? It might be easier for you to find out about the specific schools you're interested in that way.

Done.

Drexel & albany don't have attendance policies

Drexel & albany don't have attendance policies

great. already removed rochester, hofstra, and oakland from my list. still have room to remove a couple more schools

FWIW- according to the students I've talked to, attendance at Rochester classes after the first block of courses hovers around 50% (same as most medical schools).
So, definitely not mandatory

Reactions: 1 user
Wake forest doesn't offer lecture recordings according to MSAR 2015

I know, I saw that myself, but the MSAR is unfortunately wrong. I asked about this during my interview day and my student tour guide confirmed that lectures ARE recorded and hosted on the Tegrity system. If you check the 2013-2014 Wake Forest application thread, you'll see a comment from me around the beginning of September where I point out that the MSAR is incorrect on this particular point. A current student responded that the recording system is entirely student-run, and therefore not listed on the MSAR. Which didn't make sense to me then and doesn't make sense to me now.

Linky: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/thr...plication-thread.1004347/page-6#post-14422007

You can also buy a digital recorder and record the audio yourself - that's what all the cool kids did abroad. You'll have to be sure to ask the instructor permission, of course.

You can also buy a digital recorder and record the audio yourself - that's what all the cool kids did abroad. You'll have to be sure to ask the instructor permission, of course.

But then you have to actually go to lecture, which a lot of people find inefficient.

But then you have to actually go to lecture, which a lot of people find inefficient.

Or find a friend who always goes ;) There's a lecture-loving student like me in every group.

Reactions: 1 users
Cornell:
- while the administration highly encourages lecture attendance, in reality lectures are not mandatory, so only about half the students end up going to them (now, PBL and other small group activities etc. are a different matter, these are mandatory);
- most lectures are video recorded (the exceptions are patient presentations and expert lectures).

The only school with 100% mandatory class attendance (which includes *everything*) that I know of is CCLCM, otherwise known as the College Track at Case.

The only school with 100% mandatory class attendance (which includes *everything*) that I know of is CCLCM, otherwise known as the College Track at Case.

I think Mayo also has mandatory attendance.

I also think that not only mandatory vs. non-mandatory attendance should be considered, but also class schedule. I.e. whether all class activities, mandatory or non-mandatory, are completed by 12-1 pm or whether you have to be at school till 5-6 pm (I've heard horror stories :eek:). And, speaking of schedules, while Case has mandatory attendance, most days are only half-day and you get Thursdays as a "free" day for independent studying.

I think Mayo also has mandatory attendance.

I remember someone asked the current students about this on my interview day, and they emphatically said that this was a myth and attending lectures is not mandatory at Mayo. However, they did say that due to the small class size, it's easy to know who's missing, and they said the administration prefers that all of their students attend lecture (out of respect for the lecturers who's taking their time out to teach).

I remember someone asked the current students about this on my interview day, and they emphatically said that this was a myth and attending lectures is not mandatory at Mayo. However, they did say that due to the small class size, it's easy to know who's missing, and they said the administration prefers that all of their students attend lecture (out of respect for the lecturers who's taking their time out to teach).
Maybe it's not required, but more or less mandatory due to (a) the small class size and (b) the use of ARS (audience response system, or 'clickers') in their classes. I was told by several students at interview day that going to class here was not optional, and that this was something to think about when comparing Mayo to other schools.