schools with new medical facilities recently or in the near future

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Scean

whats a goon to a goblin?
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I mean common, who doesn't like the sound of going to a med school with a sweet new medical science building with all the bells and whistles.

So if anyone knows of such places please list:

Emory: recent new medical science building (and new curriculum)

University of Kentucky: HUGE new hospital and medical facility finished soon

Temple: sweet new medical building set for completion in 09

Members don't see this ad.

Indiana University in Indianapolis is building a new center specifically for nurses/med students/ etc. It will focus on the whole patient interaction/real-time clinical testing situations that New Jersey has. They actually want to incorporate med students and nursing students together in these rooms, despite how the med students don't want that.:rolleyes:

Members don't see this ad :)
How about being a member of the inaugural class at a brand new SOM?

http://www.ttuhsc.edu/fostersom/

El Paso was a teaching hospital for MS 3 and 4's, but now it's going to be accredited for all 4 years and it'll have a brand new medical classroom building.

Indiana University in Indianapolis is building a new center specifically for nurses/med students/ etc. It will focus on the whole patient interaction/real-time clinical testing situations that New Jersey has. They actually want to incorporate med students and nursing students together in these rooms, despite how the med students don't want that.:rolleyes:

What? When?

tufts got a gazillion dollar donation and is opening up an incredible new building with a sweet simulation area and great lounges and stuff. it opens in january.

Saint Louis- just completed in the near past a very spiffy new research building

New York Medical College- facilities were all new from just a few years ago, very nice

Wright State University- all new med facilities, still currently undergoing renovations due to massive donations to the school, super nice technology!

USC...brand new county hospital. Class of 2012 will be the inaugurial class trained there.

WashU

- just built new building to house student study corrals, lecture halls, classrooms, and it doubles as an art museum o_O
- currently building Biomed21, a translational research facility

Penn

- i dont even know where to begin, so much construction...

Consolidating the list...

Utah - awesome ('05 I believe)

Indiana University-January

Saint Louis- just completed in the near past a very spiffy new research building

New York Medical College- facilities were all new from just a few years ago, very nice

Wright State University- all new med facilities, still currently undergoing renovations due to massive donations to the school, super nice technology!

USC...brand new county hospital. Class of 2012 will be the inaugurial class trained there.

WashU - just built new building to house student study corrals, lecture halls, classrooms, and it doubles as an art museum o_O

Penn - i dont even know where to begin, so much construction...

UVA -- New research buildings slated for '08 opening, New med school building planned to open in 2010

UVA -- New research buildings slated for '08 opening, New med school building planned to open in 2010

Tulane - has the new Poydras building which is high rise and has an awesome student lounge that overlooks the city. All classes will be moved in there. I think anatomy will remain in the old building though.

Tulane - has the new Poydras building which is high rise and has an awesome student lounge that overlooks the city. All classes will be moved in there. I think anatomy will remain in the old building though.

University of Arkansas - They're doubling the size of the campus over the next 4 years. :scared:

Tulane - has the new Poydras building which is high rise and has an awesome student lounge that overlooks the city. I believe that all classes except anatomy will move there.

Michigan - New Mott's Children's Hospital and Woman's Hospital Expansion (2011), Kellogg Eye Center expansion, Brehm Diabetes Center Building

Members don't see this ad :)
I know this is Pre-Allo, but PNWU-COM is a new school with facilities. Couldn't tell you much more than that though as I haven't looked into much.

Tulane - has the new Poydras building which is high rise and has an awesome student lounge that overlooks the city. I believe that all classes except anatomy will move there.

Michigan - New Mott's Children's Hospital and Woman's Hospital Expansion (2011), Kellogg Eye Center expansion, Brehm Diabetes Center Building

Toledo- New on-site ortho center

VCU - 250 bed ICU critical care tower opening up 2009
The second Medical Sciences Building (MSB II) opening in 2010

UC Davis!!! dream school!

first two years just moved to new building in sacramento!

University of Wisconsin - New Medical school (around 4-5 years old). New research building opening next year. New Children's Hospital.

ucf, and fiu are opening med schools that start in 09...

University of Wisconsin - New Medical school (around 4-5 years old). New research building opening next year. New Children's Hospital.

Wayne State - New medical commons being built which will connect the library with Scott Hall.

WashU

- just built new building to house student study corrals, lecture halls, classrooms, and it doubles as an art museum o_O

Penn

- i dont even know where to begin, so much construction...

yeah...but all that construction is not for the medical school

Their facilities are relatively crappy

U. Cincinnati

UCLA is replacing the UCLA medical center and it's being designed by IM Pei. Pretty sweet.

University of Colorado moved to a brand new campus in January 2008. The new campus also includes the University Hospital and Children's Hospital.

University of Colorado moved to a brand new campus in January 2008. The new campus also includes the University Hospital and Children's Hospital.

and it is amazing

Vanderbilt has a new building for anatomy lab and observed patient examination.

Jefferson - new clinical skills center and lecture hall in the Dorrance Hamilton Building. It's also got classrooms, conference rooms, study space.

I mean common, who doesn't like the sound of going to a med school with a sweet new medical science building with all the bells and whistles.

So if anyone knows of such places please list:

UCI: Brand New ~300 mil teaching hospital scheduled to open within months,
Brand New Medical Education Building for med students scheduled to open next year :cool:

Two of the larger medical projects that will affect medical students are at Baylor College of Medicine and Johns Hopkins Medicine - new hospital and major expansion of hospital respectively.

Baylor is getting their own hospital and outpatient clinic in 2011.

Wayne State - New medical commons being built which will connect the library with Scott Hall.

Northwestern - new Prentice Women's Hospital opened in the fall, a new Children's Memorial Hospital will be built next door opening in 2012

Where did we get the date on IUs new facilities?

Northwestern - new Prentice Women's Hospital opened in the fall, a new Children's Memorial Hospital will be built next door opening in 2012

AECOM - new Price Center for Translational Research

As mentioned earlier, UCF and FIU will both have very nice facilities. FSU is still pretty nice and there is a new biology building being built right next door. FSU also just opened a new campus focused on rural/underserved medicine.

NYMC def. needed those new facilities. While their old campus was located in a very cool place (fifth ave. right across from central park), it was also very dated from what I hear.

LSU-NO: brand new teaching hospital and VA hospitals on the horizon. also newly renovated facilities (due to katrina) pretty much everywhere else including their simulation labs

LSU-NO: brand new teaching hospital and VA hospitals on the horizon. also newly renovated facilities (due to katrina) pretty much everywhere else including their simulation labs

Johns Hopkins: tons of construction on campus; new simulation center just opened, $1 billion new hospital complex open 2011, new pre-clinical education building fall 2009, new Wilmer (opthamology) research building, new biotech and sciences park with new student housing on the horizon (although it could be a few years till it opens)

Hopkins clinical facilities are admittedly pretty blah now, but the new construction seems to be coming up fast and the stuff they've completed seems really nice, so I'm excited.