Schools with records for accomidating disabilities

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ReneeM

7+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Bump. I would imagine all schools are, but I'd be interested in knowing if there are schools known for this.

Members don't see this ad :)
Are there any medical schools that have a reputation for accomidating students with disabillities? I have a congenital upper-limb defect, but I use a myoelectric prosthetic. With exception to my disability, I believe I am a fairly competitive student- 514 MCAT, 3.8 cGPA, 3.9 sGPA, years of volunteering and clinical experience. Has anyone with similar circumstances found accepting schools?
Under ADA, all schools have an office to be compliant with the law. To plug my school, the University of Michigan, our chair of Family Practice is deaf, and the chair of neurosurgery is a woman with Spinal Bifida, who is in a wheel chair now. Had a special "standing" wheel chair when she use be active with surgeries.

Reactions: 1 user
Johns Hopkins took and graduated a quadriplegic a few years ago. He was also a super star in his class :)

Thanks everyone! I'm excited to listen to that interview.
This is sort of unrelated, but I was wondering if I need to disclose this in my personal statement.

ALL med schools have to accommodate disabilities is they accept you. ADA and all that. However, there are technical standards that you need to be able to do. I don't see your defect as being a bar to admission though.

I once knew a nephrologist at Memorial Sloan-Kettering who had a withered arm. How withered? Like a T. rex forearm!

Are there any medical schools that have a reputation for accomidating students with disabillities? I have a congenital upper-limb defect, but I use a myoelectric prosthetic. With exception to my disability, I believe I am a fairly competitive student- 514 MCAT, 3.8 cGPA, 3.9 sGPA, years of volunteering and clinical experience. Has anyone with similar circumstances found accepting schools?

Reactions: 1 user