schools with relatively few classroom hours

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lola

Bovine Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
i just returned from an interview at nymc and was shocked to discover how overworked the students seemed. do most schools have classes from 9-4 everyday with exams every other week? i was under the impression that some schools have fewer classroom hours than others. are all of these schools top schools or do any of the mid-lower tier schools have lighter schedules? i just don't see myself having the energy to study for 4 or so hours a night after being in class all day. i would also prefer to go to a school that has exams only once a month or so.

Members don't see this ad.

of the schools i've been to, exams that often do not happen. i think that is pretty unusual actually. personally i don't like schools whose curriculum depends so much on lectures. but trust me there are plenty that don't. i know these are vague answers but i think nymc might be an exception. i hope i don't tick anyone off by saying this but i talked to a ucsd med student (also a lot of lecture hours) about how his girlfriend felt about nymc. the answer: she really disliked it. i've heard the faculty is just not super supportive there and as a result the students aren't as happy. this is all hearsay so take it as you will but it might be the reason the students seemed less than pleased.

Members don't see this ad :)
UCONN medical students are in class from 8am to 12pm every day during years 1 and 2.

Originally posted by xaelia
I think Case Western Reserve University and Oregon Health Sciences University have lecture only in the mornings and have afternoons free.

You're right about Case for sure--it was one of the things that wowed me about the school when I was there :clap:

Hopkins is the same as NYMC--lots of lecture and exams basically every two weeks or so (or so says a friend of mine there).

Personally, I don't know why anyone would want to go through that . . .

Mayo is very heavy classroom hours for the first half of first year...it is can be 8 to 5 many days (although almost every Friday is half-day). There are tests just about every week as well during this first part...sometimes three tests in one week like next week...this week we just have one...and one the week before...and two the week before that...you get the idea. It lightens up tremendously for the second part of the year. But all this classroom time early lets us have half of second year in the wards.

8-noon at Baylor.

But don't think any school will only be 8-noon....you have to factor in electives, PBL classes, going to anatomy lab (on your own time...lab's never enough)...

from what I understand about Yale, its pretty close to Baylor. classes in the morning... other kinds of stuff in the afternoon (clinical exposure, occasionally a lab)

Northwestern has 3 afternoons a week free the first year

yale and northwestern, afternoons free about 3 days a week for at least the first year.

i heard from a friend that yale gives self-examinations??? can anybody confirm that and enlighten us as to what they entail.

Originally posted by BobbyDylanFan
i heard from a friend that yale gives self-examinations??? can anybody confirm that and enlighten us as to what they entail.

it's not really a self-exam, but from what i've heard yale med students do not need to put their names down when they take exams. so not even the registrar's office knows how well anybody's doing. u just need to pass the boards in order to graduate i think

well ... basically you are assigned a super secret # when you get there (only you know it). when you take tests, you get your grade by number; and then you can gauge how you are doing. if you fail miserably, you are kinda expected to get help for it - you're an adult, taking care of your education shouldn't be mindblowing (if i botched the explanation - let me know). despite the criticisms, it works remarkably well.

Members don't see this ad :)
There's a school in which students spend no time in class. I can't remember the name but it was one of the Caribbean schools (some of you may recall the name) & you take telecourses. When it's exam time you fly out to sandy beaches!

how about schools like:
university of vermont
drexel
georgetown
tulane
bu
tufts
dartmouth
uc davis
loyola

That sounds kind of messed up. What about labs like gross anatomy? Do any of the students pass boards? Or are able to get clerkships?

Originally posted by Megalofyia
That sounds kind of messed up. What about labs like gross anatomy? Do any of the students pass boards? Or are able to get clerkships?

uh, yeah. i don't think any of these schools have problems w/schools passing boards and getting residencies. check out, for example, yale's residency match list. yeesh.

and jot - that explaination was right on. no worries. :)

Oops timing of the posts.. my last post wasn't in regards to
university of vermont
drexel
georgetown
tulane
bu
tufts
dartmouth
uc davis
loyola.
I know they are good schools.
I had been refering to the post before that.
"There's a school in which students spend no time in class. I can't remember the name but it was one of the Caribbean schools (some of you may recall the name) & you take telecourses. When it's exam time you fly out to sandy beaches!"

Oh yeah, there's a track at Ohio State that's independent study...students just work off of computers for the lectures and stuff whenever they feel like it. It was intended for students with families and other commitments, and I hear it hasn't been too successful.

Tufts used to be a 9-4 school, but now we have lectures (or sometimes lab, small groups, pharm recitations) in the morning from 8-12:15 and PBL, clinical selectives, and sometimes an additional lecture in the afternoon about one day a week for each. The change has met with a 75% approval rating from my class. Maryland is also another 8-12 school.

Ohio doesn't have the independent study tract any more. I was combined with the PBL program to make something new. The students that were in the independent study program though did have access to the school and did at least live in the same city as the school. They weren't living in one country but enrolled in a school in a different country.

At my SUNY Buffalo interview they said lecture time is only 8 am-11 am each day.

I believe Univ. of Rochester has a minimal amount of class hoours as well.

Number of hours in class is definetly one of the factors that I will consider when applying. I seriously would dread being in class 8-5. I would probably end up skipping class to study on my own...and end up doing better on exams, catching up on sleep, etc, etc.

Medical College of Virginia (MCV/VCU) has a 8-noon schedule. It seems that the more "open-minded" medical schools have decreased classroom time. Hopefully, the trend will encourage the 8-5'ers that its time for a change.

DOCTORSAIB

Originally posted by TroutBum

Hopkins is the same as NYMC--lots of lecture and exams basically every two weeks or so (or so says a friend of mine there).

Hopkins is NOT the same as NYMC. First years have class from 8 to 1 (usually 3 hrs lecture, 2 hours small group). Because of the block schedule, there's an exam every 3-4 weeks or so.

Cheers,

doepug
MS III, Johns Hopkins

does anyone know the class schedule for suny stony brook? univ of rochester? i need help deciding between these schools. thanks:)