mokamadness

10+ Year Member
Apr 5, 2009
Status
Pre-Medical
Does anyone know which schools have an emphasis on targeting rural and underserved populations? I know the U of Minnesota and U of Washington specifically target those areas, but are there others? Thanks! :)

nick_carraway

10+ Year Member
Mar 7, 2007
Status
Resident [Any Field]
UCSF and UCD also have PRIME programs (I saw UCLA in your MDapps already).

Of those two, UCSF is your best shot from OOS but both are fantastic programs. I worked with some faculty at UCSF's PRIME program and they are extremely bright and helpful.

searun

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 31, 2006
Status
Resident [Any Field]
OHSU in my home state of Oregon is all over rural medicine and primary care. And OHSU loves out of state applicants - so if this is your profile, go west and bring your fly rod and snowboard.

OP
M

mokamadness

10+ Year Member
Apr 5, 2009
Status
Pre-Medical
UCSF and UCD also have PRIME programs (I saw UCLA in your MDapps already).

Of those two, UCSF is your best shot from OOS but both are fantastic programs. I worked with some faculty at UCSF's PRIME program and they are extremely bright and helpful.
I've heard that the UCLA PRIME program is fantastic! Glad to hear that from someone who's had firsthand experience with them! I'll add UCSF to the list. Thanks!

ruraldr

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 19, 2007
Status
Medical Student
about rural health focused programs.

:luck: with your application process.

Web MD

Doctor of the Internets
5+ Year Member
Jul 7, 2009
Look Behind You - Too Late
Status
Pre-Medical
In the midwest i know Univeristy of Missouri Kansas City and University of Missouri Columbia have rural medicine tracks, and I'd bet that any major city med schools in Chicago or St. Louis areas would have a means to focus on underserved areas probably on the same block as the med campus

Jun 28, 2009
FL
Status
Pre-Medical
i go to FSU undergrad and have been to plenty of FSU COM open houses and such, and they are definitely oriented to rural care and primary care. i believe its even in their mission statement.

UVAbme2009

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 26, 2008
Status
Medical Student
VCU/MCV

Honestly, I think opportunities are available at most schools. Schools in large urban areas (like Tulane) give provide you with access to underserved populations on a daily basis.