1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, be sure to check out How To Get Into Dental School, our free downloadable PDF with step-by-step details for dental school applicants!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice
  4. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Schools With the Greatest Scholarships?

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by CycleCali, May 25, 2008.

1. CycleCali

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    Hey guys -

I know my #1-4 schools, but I'm thinking I should apply to a few more. Which schools are notorious for giving out hefty scholarships? Which schools give out full rides? I need some more parameters by which to measure schools to pick some more, and I think I have a good shot at some nice scholarships.

What kind of scholarships have you all heard of/recieved?

Thanks!:love:

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. thebozz1975

5+ Year Member

I am interested in this also. Does anyone have any info at all on scholarships from dental schools?

4. ssb6

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    Are scholarships given out based only on academics? Do you need to apply for scholarships or are you automatically considered as a dental applicant?

5. armorshell

armorshell One Man Freak Show
    Physician Dentist Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Non-Student
    Penn gives out 1/2 tuition scholarships, and Pacific gives out lots of $30,000 ones

6. SHC1984

SHC1984 Membership Revoked
    Removed 5+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student
    UConn and UF

7. TheDrewYouKnew

TheDrewYouKnew Poster of the Year
    2+ Year Member

Dental Student
    UF?! How can I get one of those, or atleast an instate waver?

8. dentalgal3123

5+ Year Member

are scholarships ever awarded to international applicants?

9. SHC1984

SHC1984 Membership Revoked
    Removed 5+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student
    I am not sure how you can get these scholarships. I just know a girl that got a full scholarship at UF. (she also has a 25AA on the DAT...) so thats properly why! She was also a Florida resident.

Try UConn I heard they give out full scholarships and they accept more out of staters too. GOOD luck.

10. Columbia07

5+ Year Member

Dental Student
    USC gives out 6-8 full rides, 3-4 half tuition, 3-4 quarter tuition and quite a few 2,000-10,000 scholarships per entering class. Additionally, scholarships are available to upperclassmen (ranging from 1,000-10,000/year).

11. Hysteria24

Hysteria24 1K Member
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Got my fingers crossed for one of these! :D

Oh how that could change life after USC.

12. gkhan

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    how does one apply or get more info on these scholarships?

13. dentalstudent22

Pre-Dental
    No, scholarships are actually given out based on if you're a black female or not.

It's such a joke how dental schools operate with their scholarships. They throw money at people based on their race & gender with very little to no consideration for their competence.

14. armorshell

Non-Student
    Whatever you need to think to make you feel better about yourself. I'm a white male with no connections and I managed to get a scholarship.

15. dentstd

dentstd Fena Gonzales
    2+ Year Member

Dental Student
    You're legacy at UoP.

There's truth in the URM argument. Can't deny that. Only the cynicism within his post.

16. armorshell

Non-Student
    No idea where you heard that. I'm a 4th generation legacy at NYU dental, but I didn't even get an interview there. I didn't know anyone who even went to UoP when I applied.

17. Hysteria24

Hysteria24 1K Member
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    A lot of the scholarships are given out based on criteria formed by the person/organization who donated the money to form the endowment for the scholarship.

For instance, if Mrs. Smith is a black female who donates millions of dollars to set up a scholarship for the purpose of increasing the numbers of black females at her alma mater... well then that's who gets the money.

Not all are that specific, but many scholarships have some sort of theme behind them (ie race, gender, research and community service experience) which automatically favors some, and leaves other out.

18. TheWiredNerv

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    Scholarships are definitely not solely based on academics. I'd assume the adcoms (and whoever else goes over each admitted candidate) sees to whom they'd like to persuade to their school over others. I'd also imagine that state schools give out scholarships to out of staters to lure them in over their own state school.

#17 TheWiredNerv, Jun 22, 2008
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2008
  19. Hysteria24

Hysteria24 1K Member
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Many states also have "state grants" which serves as a little handout for instaters. Makes a big difference when paying for grad school, but barely makes a dent for professional school.

20. dentalstudent22

Pre-Dental
    yada, yada, yada. yeah, you can all find some exceptions to the rule (you know some Caucasian male who got a scholarship, *some* academic scholarships exist) BUT if you were to look at the percentage of black females who get scholarships versus the percentage of other demographics (say white male) the black females would be FAR higher.

At my school 100% of the black females get sizable scholarships of $5k or more for doing nothing other than being able to check the right gender/race box in their application form. I know this isn't restricted to my school, because these black female students have bragged how they called up different schools they were accepted to, and played each school against each other to increase their scholarships.

It's a joke how this is handled. No bearings on competence. Like I said, you can certainly find exceptions to the rule, but at the end of the day I think dental students would be very interested in seeing what total percentage of minority students receive scholarships compared to non-minority. It would be even more interesting to see both group's incoming GPA as well...

21. dentalstudent22

Pre-Dental
    I this I would be more okay with this, but a lot of the scholarship recipients act very entitled to many things including the money they receive. To me it feels that they did not earn it, as in every case there are more deserving, more intelligent, better applicants who are receiving no money because they could not check the race/gender boxes the schools were looking for.

22. armorshell

Non-Student
    Do you have any idea as to the nature of these scholarships? Like someone said above, if these are private scholarships formed from a donation (IE not tax money), then you have absolutely nothing to be complaining about. Considering your posts above, and your attitude in general, I wouldn't be throwing around the word "entitlement" too much. :rolleyes:

23. Gucci Row

10+ Year Member

Pre-Dental

There's definitely a joke going on here... but it has nothing to do with how scholarships are handled.

24. Aceofspades

10+ Year Member

Dental Student

Yea, many scholarships are set up with endowment money that must be used specifically for that purpose. Many schools have scholarship committees to appropriate the funds. Why so angry dentalstudent22? Not everybody gets scholarships.

25. crazy4clana

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    30,000k scholarships at Pacific? Hot damn.

26. ClickityClack

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    If I may, Armorshell,

My honors department liaison reports that each of the 4 graduates who matriculated from the HBCU (historically black college or university) which I attend were all awarded scholarships. The latest person to matriculate received a full-ride, and offered seminars to undergraduates to help them receive scholarship monies (sponsored by the honors department). I attended one, and was very disturbed by his words. Using the easily available URM undergrad scholarships as a starting point, it's now a game (wherein the more monies you acrue, the more industrious you seem to awarding committees). Scholarships are seen by many institutions as academic achievements, and students are pulling swimming in the cash. I've met students here that have used their minority scholarship as a jumping point to receive other merit-based awards, and used it to buy cars instead of tuition. The guy giving the seminars claimed (many, many times) to have been awarded well over $100K so far.
    I would be interested in the longevity of an endowment fund that awards to whites only. I'm well past the point of feeling racist for saying so. If what you're saying is true, then an anti-obese fund could be set, or one that just hates ugly people.
    The ADA itself is now partnered in $175,000 scholarships awarded specifically to minority students only, and reports that in 2006 only 12.2% of enrollees were of black/hispanic/asian/other descent. They go on to report that "these underrepresented...figures are expected to increase in the future", and one can only draw the conclusion that the problem is apparently trying to be solved with large sums of cash. Isn't this how lobbyists operate?

I know this may offend some people, but it is a sore point. My university financial aid office is comprised of African Americans, and will only help me after I've waited until end-of-business. My appointment times are disregarded, religiously, and non-African Americans report the same treatment. We are constantly falsely accused of attending an HBCU in order to capitalize on scholarship loopholes , and the money doesn't even exist due to the methods I described above.

Sorry, OP!:( Wish I had something to add to your question instead of just arguing.

#25 ClickityClack, Jun 27, 2008
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2008
  27. sarah_bellum

sarah_bellum ^ ban pls.
    Dentist 10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    UNC offers up to 8 full rides with $5K stipends throught the "Board of Governors" program, although you've got to be willing to work in NC when you graduate.

28. War Eagle

5+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    For those of you that know about the full-tuition or other large, reocurring scholarships, what is the stipulation that comes with them? Do you have to maintain a certain class rank or gpa? I'd think there would be some sort of stipulation if a school is giving a full-tuition scholarship.