Schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

studentinterest

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
For those that are non-trads or below the GPA/MCAT average, what are some of the schools that should be applied to?
I ask because there seems to be a certain pattern of secondaries listed on these threads. Are there schools (US) that are better known for accepting the lower stats? If so, what are they?

Members don't see this ad.

studentinterest said:
For those that are non-trads or below the GPA/MCAT average, what are some of the schools that should be applied to?
I ask because there seems to be a certain pattern of secondaries listed on these threads. Are there schools (US) that are better known for accepting the lower stats? If so, what are they?

Buy an MSAR. Look at the stats of those matriculated. Apply to those that most closely resemble yours. State schools are often your best bet. If you are looking for an easy "in", you will likely be disappointed. Lots of people need to do postbacs and MCAT retakes before they are competitive.

studentinterest said:
Just keep in mind that non-trads and those with lower numbers are not one in the same. Some schools are very accommodating to nontrads, but only those with good scores. Being a nontrad doesn't have to mean that you don't do well in science or messed up college the first time around.

Members don't see this ad :)
Not looking for an easy "in," just reasonable expectations with regard to school choice. I don't want to spend a lot of money (application fees, etc.) reaching for the stars. I would like to make a calculated effort and get busy in med school. I understand the reason behind your admonition, though. Thanks.

studentinterest said:
I understand the reason behind your admonition, though. Thanks.
No sweat, student.

There was a thread going around here a while ago asking students for lists of schools with reputations that were friendly to non-trads (not low grades/GPAs, necessarily). I don't have the URL, but copied the schools and made a list. I'll paste it below for you:

Columbia
Dartmouth
Wright State
Rush (Chicago)
Case Western
Cornell
Jefferson
Vermont
Albany
NYMC
Drexel
Finch
UCSF
George Washington
Albany
Pitt
Jefferson
UC Davis
NJMS

Happy hunting.

Thanks for the help. My grades aren't that bad (Dean's list). I am not through the hard stuff yet, so I'm trying to get an idea as to what the options are if my GPA dips. Let's hope this isn't an issue. :)

studentinterest said:
Thanks for the help. My grades aren't that bad (Dean's list). I am not through the hard stuff yet, so I'm trying to get an idea as to what the options are if my GPA dips. Let's hope this isn't an issue. :)
Yeah, prevention is definitely a lot better than the pretty dubious cure in this case.

While it may be bad form to list another website on this one,

There is a link on studentdoc.com which lets you enter your MCAT scores and GPA and then tells you which schools they are competetive with .

I cann't speak for its validity but for the Texas schools, it appears to be pretty accurate.

Best wishes!!!

SPorky

Sporky said:
While it may be bad form to list another website on this one,

There is a link on studentdoc.com which lets you enter your MCAT scores and GPA and then tells you which schools they are competetive with .

I cann't speak for its validity but for the Texas schools, it appears to be pretty accurate.

Best wishes!!!

SPorky

It uses not a particularly scientific method, and is particularly bad for nontrads, who have credentials that don't usually fit the normal applicant mold. A lot of people would be SOL if they took seriously some of those school suggestions.
All schools are receptive to nontrads to some degree, but not to a huge degree unless you have the stats, so apply broadly.

notdeadyet said:
No sweat, student.

There was a thread going around here a while ago asking students for lists of schools with reputations that were friendly to non-trads (not low grades/GPAs, necessarily). I don't have the URL, but copied the schools and made a list. I'll paste it below for you:

Columbia
Dartmouth
Wright State
Rush (Chicago)
Case Western
Cornell
Jefferson
Vermont
Albany
NYMC
Drexel
Finch
UCSF
George Washington
Albany
Pitt
Jefferson
UC Davis
NJMS

Happy hunting.

If you have low end stats, you would be wasting your money at a bunch of these.

Law2Doc said:
If you have low end stats, you would be wasting your money at a bunch of these.
Exactly. I'll bold what I said in the text before the list about it applying to receptive to non-trads, not those with low numbers.