Sci gpa is better than cumulative? Better or worse?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

istunn

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys, I have been reading through the forums for a while (The info on here is great!) but I am a new poster. I am currently a 4th year pharmacy student who will graduate in May, however I want to go to med school. I am also wondering how my Pharm.D will affect my chances, either positively or negatively. I did horrible for my first 2 years of undergraduate study so I had to retake some classes. Since I am a Texas resident, I wanted to apply to TCOM and allopathic Texas schools, but I am also open to other schools. Due to my current stats, it seems like I have a better shot at getting into an osteopathic school which is fine with me. In the end, I want to be a physician and in Texas, DO's are just as respected as MD's so I don't compare them. I calculated 2 seperate GPA's according to AACOMAS and TMDSAS standards as accurately as I could, however TMDSAS may be different as I did not get a Bachelor's and the website stated that it may include my pharmacy coursework for my science GPA. I would imagine that the allopathic med school gpa calculator operates somewhat like the TMDSAS calculation.

TMDSAS GPA
Cumulative: 3.319
Science: 3.449

AACOMAS GPA
Cumulative: 3.438
Science: 3.673

Pharmacy GPA
Overall: 3.51

I have done a lot of EC's in undergrad as well as during pharmacy school. My community service EC's are probably my strong point, but I have done research and published a couple of papers in pharmacy journals. I have also been shadowing a physician since this past summer.

I have yet to take the MCAT and plan to do so this summer after I finish physics 2 as a pre-req. It seems like that magic number is at least a 28, so I hope to do well. Please don't question my interest in med school as I sacrificed a lot just to apply. This is what I want to do.

So what do you guys think? What is the minimum MCAT score that I can get but yet still be competitive. Also, do you feel that my lower cumulative gpa will hurt me?

BTW, thanks for all the info on the forum, it really helps a lot.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
With that TMDSAS GPA you have an uphill battle. Definitely not insurmountable. You need to be at least 10th%-ile to be realistic. If you get 30+ on the MCAT you will help your cause. With a 28, you're looking at TCOM and maybe a couple of the others (Tech and A&M). With a 28 or lower I'd probably apply DO out-of-state. That was my plan with my stats before I got my MCAT score. You can click on my MDapplicants link to the left to see how it all worked out for me.

35+ would likely get you interviews at a UT or two, but not UTSW or Baylor. I believe you're below the bottom of the range for accepted applicants at those 2 schools.

Good luck! Smash the MCAT!!

Texas MD schools might be hard to get into for you, but get a high MCAT score and you'll be competitive at pretty much every DO school in the country. Good luck :)

Members don't see this ad :)
DO GPA is very realistic. I would consider that route.

Your PharmD won't help or hurt you. It will be looked on as an interesting EC. Happily, you've managed to get in the essential (for MD/DO applications) ECs on top of that, which will make a substantive difference in your overall chances.

The low cGPA will definitely hurt you, so it will be important for you to have a strong MCAT score to prove you "got" the material in the prerequisite classes. A rising grade trend in the PharmD program will also help convince adcomms you'll survive their science-intense curriculum. It will also be very important for you to articulate positively why you are making a career transition. JDUB and MiniMoo are other members who have successfully made the same transition and could be good resources for you.

Hey guys, thanks for all your help! I know it's tough to really get a feel for my chances with out an MCAT score but you have been very helpful. I am studying for the MCAT now and will take it soon. I will update you when the scores are released!