science at comm college or not???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sistahnik

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
does anyone have any idea if adcoms have a problem with applicants who take science at comm college? I attend comm college right now and will be attending university in spring 04. I plan to take the april mcat in 05 so I need to start back taking sciences. I already took bio I and I'm registered for gen chem I/winter semester. the rest of my sciences will be taken at u of mich (bio II, gen chem II, physics), but if i don't start taking them now, I will end up not taking org chem II before the mcat. I guess i would end up having to take the aug mcat 05 if necessary. I just don't understand why taking 2 science classes at comm college would even matter if the rest are taken at university level. PLEASE HELP ME SOMEBODY!!!!! :confused: :confused:

Members don't see this ad.

i took all of my premed courses at a CC and then transfered to UC Berkeley. my grades were consistent at both institutions and i did fairly well on the mcat. the only feedback i received about taking courses at a CC during my interviews revolved around how much money i saved. from my experience, i found adcoms to be much more understanding than i had anticipated. i think premeds tend to think adcoms are some ultra-conservative/old-school group of people who tend to be elitists, but after going through the process i was pleasantly surprised.

good: if you do well at a CC and then do well at a 4yr school, and also do well on the mcat

bad: if you do well at a CC, transfer, and then do poorly at a 4yr school

good luck

thank you for your reply souljah1!! I have heard so many ppl say that it looks bad, but I agree that if you do good at cc and also at univ, then no problem. thanks again!:clap: btw did you get accepted into any schools?

Members don't see this ad :)
it doesn't make any difference. i took g. chem, o. chem, biology, and a semester of physics at a community college. i also took a yr of english at a community college. having spent over 2 yrs at the cc, i transferred to ut austin, where i earned a 4.0 as a microbiology major (90 + credit hours). i took the mcat in april and got a 36s. a couple of weeks ago the assistant dean of admissions at umich med school notified me via e-mail that i had been accepted to umms. so don't sweat the fact that you're gonna take a few science classes at a cc. provided that you maintain a competitive gpa at a 4 yr university (and major in something challenging--not communications or sociology), do well on the mcat, and get some clinical experience, you'll do just fine in the med school admissions process.

good luck on the 05' mcat!

thanks elias514, I appreciate the honesty! I actually have 5yrs as a medical asst, and I am majoring in psychology. i was just told that it was better to do these at univ level b/c of the assumed less difficulty level at comm college. so I will definitely consider doing some more sciences at my current school and not worry that Ill be judged for it. I am going to try as hard as I can to get in the A to B range. thanks again! oh btw I was trying to think of some ex-curric stuff to do, but its kind of difficult with my work schedule. I do attend TUMOR BOARD at work, this is where the doc's discuss cancer cases/treatments. I dont know, I think that my experience with working in the field says alot on its own and I have worked for plenty of doc's (M.D./D.O.) and they have already given me the go for lor's so I guess I'll be fine. thanks again and sorry for the long reply.;)

Moving to pre-allo.

I'm taking some at UT, but most at the CC. Just do well on the MCAT. It levels playing field and doesn't give a crap where you did your prereq's