Dismiss Notice
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Science at Junior College?????

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by Miguel, Oct 7, 2000.

1. Miguel

Miguel Junior Member

I am a premed student currently attending a four year university. Many people have recommended taking my premed classes at a junior college. Do med school care if the science classes were taken a a junior college???? The second part of my question is: If I were to enroll and take a couple science classes at a junior college, and for some reason dont get an A, could i just not tell anyone and not have the class count against me. At least this way i would go into the class again but this time i would have some knowledge on the subject going in.

Any information will help thank you!

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Djanaba

Djanaba Senior Member

It sounds like you're being told to take your classes at a junior college to increase your chances of getting a higher grade. However, med schools know this drill, and will ask you why you did it. Simply to get a better grade in an easier course is NOT a good reason in the eyes of Your Favorite Medical School. Your colleagues who took the "harder" courses (this is how they are seen, regardless of actual difficulty) at their 4-yr institution and did well will have superior applications.

When you apply to med schools, you will have to send in transcripts of your grades to AMCAS. Any transcript you send will have all your grades from that school. Instead of trying to cover up a less than perfect grade, I'd audit courses that cause concern *at your own school* and then do them for credit as a second go-around. Or else I'd hire a tutor, etc, or lighten your load in terms of other classes that semester. The stuff you learn as premed prereqs are, for the most part, important stuff that you will have to know WELL -- both for the MCAT and medical school itself. Don't cheat yourself here just for a grade.

4. Cobragirl

Cobragirl Hoohaa helper ;)

Resident [Any Field]
    Here's my two cents....you can take SOME science courses at a junior college level (I did) and it won't hurt you. What makes the difference is WHAT courses you choose to take where. As a Marine Biology major, I was required to take the usual plethora of science classes (and math)...but I took EVERYTHING that is considered "pre-med" at the university level. In other words, I took general bio at the junior college, but I took Developmental Bio at my university. Algebra at JC....Calculus at the University. General chem at JC....ORGANIC at the university. You get the picture. On the same note, there are many schools that will refuse to accept certain classes (ie-Organic) from junior colleges, period. Just check the catalog/website of the schools you're looking at before you make any decisions...you don't want to take Organic twice, I promise! [​IMG]

5. Peregrin

Peregrin Senior Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Look specifically at the schools to which you intend to apply. For instance, 2 of the 3 allopathic schools in Michigan (Wayne State and U-M) DO NOT accept community college credits for premed courses at all. They specify that it must be from a 4 year institution.

I had to complete most of the pre-med courses post-bacc since I was a teacher for 5 years and did not want to waste time retaking community college courses that weren't accepted by prospective schools.
    I applied to only 3 schools and already got accepted at my first choice. (yahoo!)

My advice, take them at your alma mater and work hard. I fear that you might look like someone who backs down from a challenge if you take some of the courses at a community college (because everyone "knows" that you are doing it just to take the easy road, whether it's true or not). Realize, however, that I am only a soon-to-be first year (at age 28), so it is just an opinion. A slightly lower GPA is one thing, but one could infer character issues from the strategic CC experience.

6. Dave2K

Dave2K Member

I have to agree with the previous posters. There isn't anything wrong with taking courses from a Junior/Community college per se. If you took 2 years at a junior college, including bio/physics/chemistry and then transferred to a 4 year college, I'm sure no ADCOM would even look twice at that. BUT, if you are already enrolled at a 4 year college, and take ANY course offered there at a junior college (especially a mandantory pre-req) they will definitely want to know why! If you have a good reason, that's fine. Many junior colleges have more varied course times, such as night or weekend courses, which you may need to fit around a job or childcare schedule. If so, just explain that during an interview or in an application essay. But don't take a course at a different school because you think it will be easier and you'll get a better grade. Everybody knows that game and you won't fool a soul.

By the way, most community colleges have a lot of really fantastic courses that are not carried at many 4 year colleges. Thinks like EMT/Firefighter training, and a number of Vo-Tech courses that are both interesting and useful! I would look into taking something to broaden your horizons, and to have fun with! Auto repair? Computer programming or web design? And there generally are fewer hassles with getting special permission from different departments or different schools within the same college...