Science Faculty LOR

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kings2005

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
When schools mention a letter of rec from science faculty does that mean only professors who I've taken courses from? I am currently working as a research assistant at a med school and wonder if a letter from my boss, who's a professor, will count.

THX!

Members don't see this ad.

Yes, research should count. I actually used 1 from research places and not classes. Kind of a fudge but i got accepted so apparently it works.

i know when i applied a year ago (through TMDSAS) you needed to have either a committee recommendation from your pre-med program or simply 2 letters of recommendation from other professional contacts. as such, a letter from a research mentor should be just fine--in fact, that's a great person to write your recommendation.

Members don't see this ad :)
It depends. At my undergrad the letters had to go through the pre-professional file BS. And they all had to be from professors you actually had for a class. I got around that in one sense by taking a class taught by my PI.

But there is nothing to say that you could not have that person mail a letter outside of any official channels to the school if you want...that is the easy way around any BS.

It depends on the school. For instance, UNC wanted letters from science profs who have "taught you in a formal class setting." I feel like a couple other schools that I applied to wanted profs who've had me in class as well, but I don't really remember (my LOR writers were profs so I really didn't need to think about it).

Definitely get the letter and use it has a supplemental letter. I would also get letters from profs you've had for class so you'll have all your bases covered. You don't want LOR requirements to limit where you apply.

It depends on the school. For instance, UNC wanted letters from science profs who have "taught you in a formal class setting." I feel like a couple other schools that I applied to wanted profs who've had me in class as well, but I don't really remember (my LOR writers were profs so I really didn't need to think about it).

Definitely get the letter and use it has a supplemental letter. I would also get letters from profs you've had for class so you'll have all your bases covered. You don't want LOR requirements to limit where you apply.

Second that. Get the LOR from your PI, and get one from a science prof as well. (non-science is also a requirement for some schools, and might be a good idea).

I would be safe and get two letters from science faculty who have given you a grade. You can always include your PI's letter as an additional letter. My undergrad suggest 4-5 letters total (2 graded science courses, 1 graded non-science course, 1-2 research/clinical/volunteer/leadership/other).

When schools mention a letter of rec from science faculty does that mean only professors who I've taken courses from? I am currently working as a research assistant at a med school and wonder if a letter from my boss, who's a professor, will count.

THX!

To be safe, I would get letters from two professors who you took a class and given you a grade, NOT a PI. Some schools are strict about this (namely Temple). Others are a little more lenient, but it's best to play to the lowest common denominator.

Yes, you should CYA and have two letters from science faculty that you took classes with. If you took a research class for credit (and it shows up on your transcript with a grade) that should be ok, though some schools do request letters only from faculty with whom you've taken lecture classes.

Either way, however, a letter from a prof you did research with would be a great extra letter to send if he/she actually got to know you well!

I already have both letters in my file (that my undergrad sends out). My fear is the second science LOR from graded course is going to be generic (I basically got an A in her couse); whereas, my PI's letter is going to strong--Just trying to put my best foot forward.

I guess I should check all requirements for schools to which I'm applying to double check--most schools only want science faculty (not necessarily graded course) though.