science GPA and auto-screen out..help!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lazyindy

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello SDNers,

I will graduate this may with a 3.38 sGPA and I am really worried at this point. I was thinking of doing a post-bacc record enhancer program to boost up the science GPA to avoid getting auto-screened out when time comes to apply (next year). My cGPA is a 3.5 which also doesn't give me much hope. How likely is it that my application will be auto rejected without a human looking at it? With admissions climbing to steep competitive levels I don't know if I will be in good shape for DO let alone MD.

If I won't be auto-screened is a masters worth it to make myself more competitive? I did poorly my first 2 years of undergrad but since then have become a much better test-taker and learner. I am confident I can do pretty well on the MCAT but the gpa is really worrying me. any input?

Members don't see this ad.

your right in the average for DO schools for sci. gpa, and normal/slightly above average for cum gpa, but MD the average is a 3.6 cum and I think the same for sci gpa... then again my opinion is one of millions maybe @Goro could tell you more since I believe he works at a DO school. You could possible apply low/low mid tier MD and DO and be fine, but im not 100%

Hello SDNers,

I will graduate this may with a 3.38 sGPA and I am really worried at this point. I was thinking of doing a post-bacc record enhancer program to boost up the science GPA to avoid getting auto-screened out when time comes to apply (next year). My cGPA is a 3.5 which also doesn't give me much hope. How likely is it that my application will be auto rejected without a human looking at it? With admissions climbing to steep competitive levels I don't know if I will be in good shape for DO let alone MD.

If I won't be auto-screened is a masters worth it to make myself more competitive? I did poorly my first 2 years of undergrad but since then have become a much better test-taker and learner. I am confident I can do pretty well on the MCAT but the gpa is really worrying me. any input?

I don't necessarily think you have to worry about auto-screens. Those bars (besides, say, UCSF) are usually set very low. Like, 3.0 sGPA or cGPA. Your application will be looked at by someone in admissions, but you better have a good story/ECs/PS to be considered.
Also, just so you know, masters programs don't count in cGPA or sGPA; you'd need to do a post-bacc to improve your numbers. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
MSAR Online is your friend. You're fine for DO programs, MD less so.

Hello SDNers,

My main problem is that I have a lot of B's on my transcript but only 2 C's. Every semester went like this: 1 or 2 A's and the rest B's. This semester I have become a new person and destroying all my classes. I would love to go to an MD school even if it means doing an SMP.

MD is still possible with all other things in your favor. DO is definitely on the radar.

My main problem is that I have a lot of B's on my transcript but only 2 C's. Every semester went like this: 1 or 2 A's and the rest B's. This semester I have become a new person and destroying all my classes. I would love to go to an MD school even if it means doing an SMP.

My transcript is pretty much the same, just no Cs and probably fewer As. If you want to do MD, you should probably take time off to make sure you are outstanding in every single other area (clinical experience, research experience, non-medical experience, volunteer experience, letters of recommendation, personal statement, don't get arrested). Then, shoot for lower tier MDs and hope for the best.

Some schools prefer the MCAT over GPA and if you do well on it, it can help overcome that GPA.

There's also SMPs if you want to further strengthen your application.

Good luck!

MSAR Online is your friend. You're fine for DO programs, MD less so.

I love how anyone with a GPA below the mean accepted gets told that their chances are low.

50% of those accepted had GPAs below the mean.

Sure, things are (increasingly) competitive, but the SDN wisdom is just so absurdly reductive it's tough to believe.

You will not get autoscreened out. I had a 3.4 and was offered interviews at all of the top 10s that I applied to.

Exactly. My GPA was substantially lower than even a 3.4 and I didn't have any trouble with my application cycle.

OP - Your application is far more than your numbers, tough as that is to believe.

Try getting into U Chicago with a 3.4. 50% of the acceptees are NOT at 3.4-3.5. You can't apply your logic to every school. Each school is different. This is why I always preach "apply strategically".

The avg GPA is 3.6 for acceptees. Look at the spreads on MSAR (which are given for MEDIAN, not mean) and you'll see that typically, they're tight peaks. Lower tier schools tend to have the broadest curves. The typical floor for MD schools is around 3.4. Look at the GPAs of those in the bottom 10th percentile and you''ll see they're around 3.4....the midwestern and southern state schools have more leeway and are more forgiving, and URM students drive the numbers down somewhat as well. But keep in mind that state schools want their own state residents.

OP is in striking distance of the lower tiers, but Baylor, Mt Sinai, and Rochester will appreciate the donations in the form of OPs app fees.

I love how anyone with a GPA below the mean accepted gets told that their chances are low.

50% of those accepted had GPAs below the mean.

Sure, things are (increasingly) competitive, but the SDN wisdom is just so absurdly reductive it's tough to believe.

Reactions: 1 user
My GPA was below the bottom 10th percentile at 3.23 and I got 5 MD interviews this cycle (out of 20 secondaries submitted), as a white traditional applicant with a strong upward grade trend. Unfortunately, all turned into waitlist spots.

If I was auto-screened at any school I was not informed about it.