Science GPA? BCPM courses?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sindee1984

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
How do I calculate my science GPA? Does it include the required pre-med courses? Or the BCPM courses?

For those of you who have completed the primaries, how did you decide whether, for example, a class like Physical Anthropology is a Biology or Social Science class? (it's not really biology, but it's not really a social science either...)

Members don't see this ad.

AMCAS help section states: "Each course must be assigned a course classification based entirely on the primary content of the course. .... You are responsible for selecting the correct Course Classification. However, AMCAS reserves the right to change Course Classifications if the assigned Course Classification clearly does not apply."

Their example has Anthro as BESS, but if the primary content is really more Bio, then you can classify it as BIOL, and they may or may not let it stand. I had a "Brain & Behavior" course taught by the Psy dept. that was basically a neurobiology course with occasional application to neuropsych, so I classified it as Bio and they accepted it that way. So if the primary content is really more Bio, then classify it as BIOL (assuming you got an A) and they may accept that classification.