Science GPA Pod Schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Yanks4life

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know if astronomy is considered a science class that counts in the sgpa. i cant seem to find this anywhere. i plan on taking it next semester and was wonndering if i affects my science gpa (hopefully in a positive way)

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

yes......You must use physics to solve many of the problems in astronomy.....It is indeed a science class & calculated in the sGPA

yes......You must use physics to solve many of the problems in astronomy.....It is indeed a science class & calculated in the sGPA

interesting. I see your point. However, would you still count it if your university doesn't classify astronomy as a Physics course.

I thought your "Science" was limited to Bio, Chem, and Physics courses only. Can you clarify please?

Members don't see this ad :)
interesting. I see your point. However, would you still count it if your university doesn't classify astronomy as a Physics course.

I thought your "Science" was limited to Bio, Chem, and Physics courses only. Can you clarify please?

astronomy is science just like geology and all that, come on.

Doesn't matter if it's not classified as a physics class...It's still science nonetheless b/c it deals with protons, trigonometry, radiation, matter, light, etc....

You can def. classify this as a science along with other traditional classes like, zoology, vertebrate biology, ornithology, botany, etc...etc...& of course bio/chem/ochem/phys..

Another way to look at it is to see which department is actually teaching the class......Is it the department of physics?? or other science??......At my school it's under the Dept. of physical sciences....

is this all according to the podiatry gpa calculator on their app website. thanks for all the responses!

Doesn't matter if it's not classified as a physics class...It's still science nonetheless b/c it deals with protons, trigonometry, radiation, matter, light, etc....

You can def. classify this as a science along with other traditional classes like, zoology, vertebrate biology, ornithology, botany, etc...etc...& of course bio/chem/ochem/phys..

Another way to look at it is to see which department is actually teaching the class......Is it the department of physics?? or other science??......At my school it's under the Dept. of physical sciences....

thanks. I also didn't know. It seems I got it mixed up. This is sure to raise my science GPA :)

I am taking organic chemistry at my community college will it still affect my science gpa when applying to pod school? (the grade shows on my transcript just does not affect my overall gpa at the university)

I am taking organic chemistry at my community college will it still affect my science gpa when applying to pod school? (the grade shows on my transcript just does not affect my overall gpa at the university)

yes.....your final grade in OChem WILL count towards your sGPA & cumm. GPA...Just b/c it's @ a C.C doesn't mean that it won't count @ all, b/c it does (so try & do well :D)

Engineering requires knowledge of science and mathematics which are both part of the science GPA, so are engineering courses considered science? I don't think allopathic schools consider it, but I know osteopathic consider it "other science", so how about podiatry? I think it is completely bonkers if people do not consider it science because materials science and engineering, structural analysis, or chemical engineering thermodynamics are all about science and math. It is just more in depth science and physics and applying it to real life problems.

Engineering requires knowledge of science and mathematics which are both part of the science GPA, so are engineering courses considered science? I don't think allopathic schools consider it, but I know osteopathic consider it "other science", so how about podiatry? I think it is completely bonkers if people do not consider it science because materials science and engineering, structural analysis, or chemical engineering thermodynamics are all about science and math. It is just more in depth science and physics and applying it to real life problems.

Engineering classes are considered "other science"------but still classified under the sGPA......However, MATHEMATICS is NOT classified under the sGPA.....It doesn't matter if its Calc.III, or differential equations.......They are still listed under the cGPA...

Dang! I wish mathematics is under sGPA...I'd probably have an easier time! (though who knows, I'm not in college yet)

Does podiatry except retakes? It seems as though it mirrors the osteopathic admissions pretty closely with regards to "other science" course designating as well as not counting math courses into the science GPA. Althouhg not related, I have just read on some allopathic forums though that basic courses such as ENGR Thermodynamics have been classified by AMCAS under CHEM even though the applicant I am speaking about listed it as ENGR on his/her application. So some changes are made.