science gpa question

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by raj4444, Feb 20, 2002.

1. raj4444

raj4444 Junior Member

i'm kinda confused on this whole thing. Does your science gpa take into account just your pre med courses (i.e. 2 gen chem's, 2 organics, 2 bio's and 2 physics with all the labs), or does it take into account all the science courses you have taken in college? I ask because i took a freshman microbiology course a couple of years ago and got a "C". Will this grade be averaged into my science gpa? Thanks

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by raj4444:
    <strong>i'm kinda confused on this whole thing. Does your science gpa take into account just your pre med courses (i.e. 2 gen chem's, 2 organics, 2 bio's and 2 physics with all the labs), or does it take into account all the science courses you have taken in college? I ask because i took a freshman microbiology course a couple of years ago and got a "C". Will this grade be averaged into my science gpa? Thanks</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Yes, it takes into account all science classes; actually, biology, chemistry, math, and physics. But, don't worry about one C, especially if it was from your freshman year.

4. Jamier2

Jamier2 SDN Hillbilly Moderator
    Moderator Emeritus

The science GPA is sometimes called the BCPM for Biology, Chemistry, Physics, and Math GPA.

As with so many other things, there are some gray areas, and classes that aren't BCPM but are still used for the science GPA.

5. labrynth79

labrynth79 Senior Member

Yeah, they used my "physical/biological anthropology" upper-division course as a BCPM class. Same with statistics (since is qualifies under math). I don't know if engineering classes or certain psychology classes count as science, but the AMCAS app people do it all for you. You just give the class name a category (like "Behavioral sciences/social sciences'" "History", etc.) and using your transcript info, AMCAS will calc. the GPA. If there are errors in your categorizing, they will move it into the appropriate category. :)

6. FLY

FLY Senior Member

I been meaning to ask this for a while.

What about Bioengineering or Biomedical Engineering classes?? Since it is a culmination of math and biology, both of which are taken into account to calcutlate the Sci.GPA, I am guessing and hoping that it is.

But anyone know for sure??

7. FLY

FLY Senior Member

I have an innate talent to kill threads...

bumb...