Science GPA vs. Non-Science GPA vs. overall GPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Raist

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Guys, what's the most important GPA? If I have a strong science GPA with a weak overall GPA, how does that look?

Members don't see this ad.

ADCOMS would rather have a person with a stong science gpa than some with just a high overall gpa and low science gpa. They want to know if you can handle the science, they probably don't put too much weight on the nonscience gpa, although they don't completely ignore it. The higher the science gpa the better. You are probably not in a bad position.

If you don't necessarily have a strong GPA, adcoms at least want to see a strong upward trend. Many people have previously posted how they've gotten into medical school after having done dismally they're first year. But I agree with the previous poster - the adcoms probably look at the science GPA more closely that the non-science component.

Members don't see this ad :)
My guess is that they don't want to see a big DISCREPANCY between both the GPAs. They want to know you can handle what you've chosen to study and they want to know you can handle the science, too.

There is a reason why they want to see the science GPA by itself. IMO if it wasn't the most important of the 3, then it makes no sense why they ask for it.

I heard that the overall GPA is more important, but your science gpa is still a factor (but not as important as overall GPA). I was just wondering if this was true.

Is it a bad thing to not have many non science courses? Of course I guess that it is a little late to worry about this now, but I just realized that I had absolutely no non-science courses my sophomore year. All those requirements for my biochem major took all of my time :-( My senior year is going to be quite different though as I have recently decided to try to get a theatre minor. Of course those courses won't have grades yet... alas

•••quote:•••Originally posted by randomlogik:
•Is it a bad thing to not have many non science courses? Of course I guess that it is a little late to worry about this now, but I just realized that I had absolutely no non-science courses my sophomore year. All those requirements for my biochem major took all of my time :-( My senior year is going to be quite different though as I have recently decided to try to get a theatre minor. Of course those courses won't have grades yet... alas•••••Just taking what you need to get your degree should be enough. If you are a bio or chem major - most of you guys are in the same boat as far as how many classes outside of your major you are taking. Don't sweat it.