Science GPA Vs Overall GPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted212503

I know that med schools look at both GPA but for example, lets say I have a overall GPA of a 3.6 but my science GPA is around 3.2. Would that affect my chances on admissions to med school? no science grades are lower than a B.

Members don't see this ad.

I know that med schools look at both GPA but for example, lets say I have a overall GPA of a 3.6 but my science GPA is around 3.2. Would that affect my chances on admissions to med school? no science grades are lower than a B.

That would definitely affect your chances. If it didn't, then AMCAS would not take the time to calculate BCPM.

It will affect it. How much depends on any upward trends and other things like that. It's weird, I will have a 3.2 as well, but I have Cs and Fs, followed by 11 straight As in science. But I think yours might be looked upon favorably even though I have an upward trend.

Members don't see this ad :)
Your science GPA is marketable if the trend is good. I did quite well with a 3.3 science (3.45 overall) getting a 3.6-3.7 my last two years of college.

Your science GPA is marketable if the trend is good. I did quite well with a 3.3 science (3.45 overall) getting a 3.6-3.7 my last two years of college.

How in the hell did you get a Yale interview?

damn. well i'm going to become a sophmore in the upcoming fall and my science gpa isn't looking so great... took 3 major courses i need for the med-requirement which includes gen bio for a sem( still need 1 more sem), gen chem for 1 year. i still have to do orgo for a full year this upcoming year (which is gonna suck really bad), calc, and physics.

How is a higher science GPA(3.5) & a lower over all gpa(3.1) looked at? Is that actually worse than a higher overall GPA?

Does anyone know the significance of the all other (AO) GPA? My AO GPA (3.46) is much lower than my overall and BCPM GPAs (3.80, 3.95), and while I'm not really worrying about it, I am wondering if I should get ready to do some explaining during interviews? Any input appreciated.

How in the hell did you get a Yale interview?

With an extension. And I'm a very different student with a strong motivation for medicine (ahem, personal statement).

However, it's worth nothing that I did not get in. But considering how few MY options were, and considering that most schools probably never looked at my ridiculously late app, I am very pleased with how it all went.

With an extension. And I'm a very different student with a strong motivation for medicine (ahem, personal statement).

However, it's worth nothing that I did not get in. But considering how few MY options were, and considering that most schools probably never looked at my ridiculously late app, I am very pleased with how it all went.

I have an "ahem personal statement" as well, a late app, and I got 0 interviews, let alone Yale (I applied to 40 schools). I also have a much more impressive grade trend. Something ain't right.

EDIT: What's an extension?

I have an "ahem personal statement" as well, a late app, and I got 0 interviews, let alone Yale (I applied to 40 schools). I also have a much more impressive grade trend. Something ain't right.

Subjectively speaking, he's extremely interesting. Seems mature, well thought, blah blah blah. Look at his MDApps.

An extension - you call up the admissions office, explain why you're applying late, and ask if they will send an extension to AMCAS. Then, you're allowed to add them. The caveat was they needed to have a 100% complete application within 2 weeks - in my case, Dec 15. The story's on MDapps.

As for how I made it? Well, I basically had the breadth of study and clinical experience of 3 students. A humanities major, a biopsych major with honors, and a bio minor on top of the premed classes. Not much overlap there except with the bio minor. I also had two of my own research projects. Not as a research assistant - MY projects.

As for the personal statement - let me put it this way: I'm an English major and a writer/columnist for the Michigan Daily, and that personal statement was one of the best pieces I ever wrote. When you're up against a wall - when you feel that all your life is crumbling down - amazing stuff can come out of you.

Not only did I get the interview at Yale, but Dr. Dillard (old, old faculty member) was very insistent that I should have applied to Columbia and Emory. Said I would have been a "tremendous applicant" for them. Of course, I had missed their deadlines long ago.

Imagine where I would have interviewed with an on-time application! But I would have been a fool to turn down any MD acceptance. I will accomplish all that I need at NYMC.

EDIT:

I really think standing out is necessary for success in the late application scramble. That being said, may no one attempt to follow in my footsteps. It is a treacherous path indeed

Last edited:
An extension - you call up the admissions office, explain why you're applying late, and ask if they will send an extension to AMCAS. Then, you're allowed to add them. The caveat was they needed to have a 100% complete application within 2 weeks - in my case, Dec 15. The story's on MDapps.

As for how I made it? Well, I basically had the breadth of study and clinical experience of 3 students. A humanities major, a biopsych major with honors, and a bio minor on top of the premed classes. Not much overlap there except with the bio minor. I also had two of my own research projects. Not as a research assistant - MY projects.

As for the personal statement - let me put it this way: I'm an English major and a writer/columnist for the Michigan Daily, and that personal statement was one of the best pieces I ever wrote.

Not only did I get the interview at Yale, but Dr. Dillard (old, old faculty member) was very insistent that I should have applied to Columbia and Emory. Of course, I had missed their deadlines long ago.

Imagine where I would have interviewed with an on-time application! But I would have been a fool to turn down any MD acceptance. I will accomplish all that I need at NYMC.

Fair enough. Bastard. ;)

Best of luck.

Well, I basically had the breadth of study and clinical experience of 3 students. . I also had two of my own research projects. Not as a research assistant - MY projects.

As for the personal statement - let me put it this way: I'm an English major and a writer/columnist for the Michigan Daily, and that personal statement was one of the best pieces I ever wrote.

Not only did I get the interview at Yale, but Dr. Dillard (old, old faculty member) was very insistent that I should have applied to Columbia and Emory. Said I would have been a "tremendous applicant" for them.

Imagine where I would have interviewed with an on-time application!

That being said, may no one attempt to follow in my footsteps. It is a treacherous path indeed

You must be wearing waders and hip boots to trudge through all that sh** you talk.

Tone it down, bro!

You must be wearing waders and hip boots to trudge through all that sh** you talk.

Tone it down, bro!

I didn't realize I had toned it up. What else can I say when people don't believe how I got interviews so late in the cycle with my stats?

Hey, if it makes you feel better, the smartest thing would have been to apply on time.

How is a higher science GPA(3.5) & a lower over all gpa(3.1) looked at? Is that actually worse than a higher overall GPA?
The overall GPA tends to be more important, but showing the ability to do well in the sciences is a good thing. I think that some schools may weight the sGPA, and the regular GPA to the same degree, whereas others might not.

I didn't realize I had toned it up. What else can I say when people don't believe how I got interviews so late in the cycle with my stats?

Hey, if it makes you feel better, the smartest thing would have been to apply on time.

This is great :D, i love SDN. i am reading this and i wish i had popcorn, this is better than a movie. I love this little arguments between ppl.

by the way, gplex good luck with everything!!! this ppl is just hating!

definitely gplex... i didn't think you were 'toning' anything up or down. you have the schnitzel, and you know it. great job on an otherwise impossible application cycle.