Science GPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

turnerm

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I wondering if human anatomy and/or human physiology are calculated in "science gpa" during application to an osteopathic school? I think allopathic schools don't. Thanks for your replies.

Members don't see this ad.

Yes! Any type of science classes are figured into your science GPA. It shouldnt be any different from DO to MD.

What about nutrition or exercise-related classes?

Members don't see this ad :)
What qualifies as a "science" course? The reason I ask is because I am doing my undergraduate in sports medicine and many of the courses are science related, but some of them are not "BIO" or "CHEM" captioned. What makes a course be included in a "science gpa?"

ie. Class Desciptions: "Joint and Extremity Evaluation," "Modalities,"Exercise Physiology," "Kinsiology," etc...

Turnerm,

I did a Masters in Sports Med and I included all of my exercise science classes under the science course classification. You won't be questioned about courses like biomechanics, exercise phys, and Anatomy even if they fall under a Health and Phys Ed designation. Courses specific to sports med and rehab may be questionable. I hope this helps.

Oddly enough they wouldn't accept my credits earned as a anatomy lab teaching assistant for my science GPA.

doatc,

I would like to know more about yourself. I take it your are an A.T.C...are you in medical school...if so, where, and how was your admission process affected being an athletic training major...and so on?

If you fill open to discuss, you can e-mail me back...my e-mail address is: [email protected]

P.S. If you were wondering I am an athletic training major, and I plan on applying to both allopathic and osteopathic schools this summer and fall...that's why I wanted to know your story

Hiya,

I was in the same situation when I was applying to medical school last year. I was a kinesiology major at the UofI, and I wasn't quite sure about how to designate my major classes for the purposes of AMCAS and AACOMAS.

Basically I thought critically of the content of each of the classes in question and then compared them to the other biology and chemistry classes that I had taken. I then asked myself this important question: "If a school questions why I designated this class as a science class, can I realistically defend that desination and be convincing". If you can't answer 'yes' to that question, then mark it as 'other', but if you feel that you can rationally support a 'science' designation, then mark it as such.

That was my method and I didn't have any of the 8 schools I applied to question my transcripts or designations.

------------------
Rhett
UHS Class of 2004