Googles

15+ Year Member
Jul 25, 2002
Visit site
Status
hey guys,

i was just wondering if any of you have heard of anyone getting in with REALLY low science gpa's (~2.7)...i'm really scared because i'm hovering around this range...my overall is a 3.2 though...

if you do know of anyone that has, what schools did they get into and what DAT's scores did they have...

any input would be of help...thanks

- googles

D

Doctor2Be

Yes, I have heard actually people getting into dental schools with 2.7 GPA. But Consider these factors too:

1) Your Undergrad School that you attend ( some undergrad schools are very difficult to get good grades )

2) Your Major ( some majors are more difficult than others )

3) your Volunteer activities ( this help you to be more competetive)
4) your dental experience
5) and last, the school that you applying to. Make sure apply to the school that they take students with a little bet lower GPA than others. don't apply to Harvard, UCLA...ect.

I wish you luck and good luck

sincerely
doctor2be

ItsGavinC

Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Oct 7, 2001
Arizona
Status
Dentist
My undergrad (BYU) has quite a good matriculation rate from those applicants who have low science GPAs. Here are some numbers:

Science GPA Applied Accepted Percent

2.9-2.99 ............ 14 ............13 ............93%
2.8-2.89 ............7 ...............6 ............ 85%
2.7-2.79 ............ 7 ............ 7 ............ 100%
2.6-2.69 ............ 2............ 2 ............ 100%
2.5-2.59 ............ 5 ............ 3 ............ 60%

This is partial evidence that it can be done, however Doctor2be pointed out that the GPA is only part of the total applicant. These people had other things going for them which allowed them to be extremely succesful despite far sub-par GPAs.

About the Ads

UBTom

Class '04 official geezer
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 24, 2002
Queens, NY
www.iloveny.com
Status
The science GPA can affect your chances depending on your college's policies.

For example, at the university where I did my undergrad work (Columbia U), if one has less than a 3.0 science GPA, the Pre-dental Committee will absolutely refuse to recommend the candidate, which may hurt the candidate's chances for admission.

Other colleges will have varying policies though, so you might want to find out how the preprofessional committee at your college works..

Good luck!

About the Ads