secret25

10+ Year Member
Apr 25, 2008
Earth
Status
Pre-Medical
I have a couple questions about this. I took both my physics at a different university, it's still a 4-year-university, but it was closer to home, so I could do it over the summer. I know my university does not include those grades on our GPA, but is it included when Med Schools calculate Science GPAs? Also, if it is, do they also include it on the cumulative GPA section, because that would change the GPA shown on my transcript.

Also, do classes that are biology for non-biology majors count? I ask because I took one during my first semester before I knew I was pre-med, and I made a B so I would love for it not to count! I'm expecting the answer to be a yes since it shows up on my grade summary as a biology course, but I can dream.

I could have sworn I had another question, but I can't remember it at all right now...so I'm sure I'll be replying to this thread again with another question.

Thanks in advance everyone.

Bacchus

Staff member
Administrator
10+ Year Member
Apr 28, 2007
Status
Attending Physician
Yes to all your questions. For the course taken at the other university... you will need to submit that transcript to AMCAS when you apply. Relax, a B is not the end of the road.

OP
S

secret25

10+ Year Member
Apr 25, 2008
Earth
Status
Pre-Medical
Well that was quick, I already remembered. I tested out of two Math courses with AP credits. The first was Calculus semester one, which I'm pretty sure Med School's will count as part of my Science GPA even though I didn't actually take a class aside from Calculus in high school. BUT, I also tested out of some math course called "Elementary Functions and Coordinate Geometry." Does this count as part of my science GPA? It's listed as a lower division Math that you can take at the University before Calculus, but I really wasn't sure if Med Schools would count it.

OP
S

secret25

10+ Year Member
Apr 25, 2008
Earth
Status
Pre-Medical
Thanks for letting me know! I would have completely forgotten to submit their transcript. And yeah I know a B isn't the end of the world, but having a B not count, would just be a huge plus.

Bacchus

Staff member
Administrator
10+ Year Member
Apr 28, 2007
Status
Attending Physician
AP courses are not counted into your GPA if you only received the credit from your university. If you apply to any medical schools that require calculus you may need to take calculus again because some medical schools do not accept AP credits.

OP
S

secret25

10+ Year Member
Apr 25, 2008
Earth
Status
Pre-Medical
I took the second semester of Calculus at my university, so I'm hoping that fulfills the credit? I'd heard that you weren't supposed to use AP credits, but by the time I became pre-med, I'd already done the second semester, and doing the first seemed kind of useless. I hope that won't affect me too much?

ChubbyChaser

Yummmy
10+ Year Member
Apr 14, 2007
Status
Medical Student
I took the second semester of Calculus at my university, so I'm hoping that fulfills the credit? I'd heard that you weren't supposed to use AP credits, but by the time I became pre-med, I'd already done the second semester, and doing the first seemed kind of useless. I hope that won't affect me too much?
Im sure if you took Calc 2...that will satisfy your calc 1 requirement.