Science GPA

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by Star2008, Jun 12, 2008.

1. Star2008

Medical Student
    Hi guys,

I'm a psychology major, do psychology classes count for the science gpa?

How important is the Science gpa compared to the overall?

What other classes count into the science gpa?
    physics
    math
    chem
    biology

Thanks!

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. HumidBeing

HumidBeing In Memory of Riley Jane
    Moderator Emeritus Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved

Here's a link to the 2007 AMCAS instructions. You will find the courses listed on pages 76-79.

4. RySerr21

RySerr21 i aint kinda hot Im sauna

Fellow [Any Field]
    ooooo psychology. with out getting into any arguments, the answer is no. psychology does not count as a science course.

5. nontrdgsbuiucmd

Medical Student
    I suspect what counts may be somewhat arbitrary, will have to review but I think AAMC changed my "geography 101" to a Natural Sciences class rather than the social studies type class it really was. Not clear if "natural sciences" counts as BCPM or no.

Regarding how important BCPM is? Schools probably all vary, CO has some calculation when ranking students' GPAs, something like add undergraduate gpa and BCPM and double your best undergraduate year, but this likely will be changed for next year possibly to remove the worst semester/year's GPA. Given this math, I'd bet every school looks at the relative value of BCPM differently.

6. chad5871

Physician Moderator Emeritus

Resident [Any Field]
    "Natural Sciences" isn't BCPM.

7. MCP1

Pre-Medical
    Some psychology classes may count based on course discription. BCPM is not only made up of Bio, Chem, Math, and Physics classes but rather is based on the content of the class.

Therefore, same psychology classes may count such as BioPsych (if you classes truly was 50% science related which mine easily was), certain Drugs of Abuse classes, and some of the psychology research classes may count if they were 50% stats.

I have not filled out AMCAS, but I do know of people who have gotten these classes verified as BCPM. I believe it really depends on the course discription.

8. redlight

redlight Senior Member :D

Pre-Medical
    really? my bio and chem classes all have the "natural science" designation.
    also, the natural science track of public health major is all the premed classes plus upper level public health classes...
    and the natural science major is almost all bio and chem...

:thumbup:
    OP: you can probably go by which departments the course is listed in as well. a few psych classes are cross-listed in the biology, behavioral biology and neuroscience department courses. these courses are given the natural science designation (in addition to the social science designation, if applicable).

9. chad5871

Physician Moderator Emeritus

Resident [Any Field]
    "Natural sciences" would be things like earth science, geology, etc. These could not be classified in AMCAS as bio or chem. If a course is predominantly biology or chemistry (even if it's not classified that way at the undergraduate institution), it should be classified that way (biology or chemistry) in AMCAS. The only four categories in AMCAS that go into BCPM gpa are Biology, Chemistry, Physics, and Math.