Science GPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SBains88

MedBound12
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have been kind of concerned with my science GPA. I know medical school puts a lot of weight on it for applicants and this part of my application is most likely to be my weakest area. My overall GPA is decent at about a 3.6 but my science gpa is 3.18. The reason is because I got 2 C's in my gen chem classes. I was wondering how badly this will hurt me chances at med school. Since i got those C's my grades in sciences have been B's and A's.

Members don't see this ad.

Such a low science GPA will definitely hurt you. You need to get it up. Take more upper level science courses and plan to get only As. Figure out from the number of science hours already taken, how many more you'll need to get it up to a 3.5. If you apply DO, you could consider repeating the "C" courses and the application service will replace those grades with the new ones in figuring your GPA. AMCAS won't do this, but they will average the repeat grade with the original.

I just looked at your back posts and it looks like you have two more semesters (to get to the usual total of six) to take classes until it's time to apply. If your GPA hasn't improved sufficiently, don't apply until after your fourth year (eight semesters on the transcript), to give you more time to get that GPA out of its black hole.

If chem is consistently your downfall, don't repeat the classes, but rather continue to take more upper-level bio to get the As you need.

Members don't see this ad :)
I recalulated my gpa to double check. It seem as though I made a mistake im actually around a 3.35 for my science gpa. Is that change significant in ne way?

If you get straight As in science for the next two semesters, you should have no significant trouble.