1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Science GRADES!!!

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by Touray, May 30, 2000.

1. Touray

Touray Junior Member
    10+ Year Member

hi everyone, I am curious, do science grades like astronomy and geology, count towards your science gpa, when you apply to medical school.. Plus I would like to say that in my freshman year I got a No Credit,and two withdrawls and a 1.4 in my transcript. is that really going to hurt me when Im applying to med school, since then I have got much better grades... thanx

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. doctor_sig

doctor_sig Member
    10+ Year Member

I'm guessing that would depend on your major. If you're a biology or chem major, I kind of doubt it, but if your a non-science major, you may have to figure it in. In any case, they'll be on your transcript, so it doesn't make a huge difference.

------------------
    Dr. Sig
    *disclaimer* All opinions are worth
    what you paid for them.

4. mermaid

mermaid Member
    10+ Year Member

I'm not so sure about whether the classes you mentioned will count toward your science GPA, but I might be able to help with your other question. If at the beginning of college you had a bad GPA, you just need to work extra hard to bring that up. I've heard of several applicants getting in with that situation. This is so long as you show a consistent improvement; try not to get another 1.4 later on... it is much easier to explain.
    Another thing that may look good is to take upper level courses in the same subjects as any bad grades. (this is more important if the law grades were in required premed science classes)

5. Mango

Mango Very Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    On the AMCAS application, the ONLY courses that count toward your science GPA are Biology, Chemistry (organic and inorganic), Physics, and Math.

After you turn the disk in, they calculate your science and non-science GPA's from every year of college individually, and for the total. You will be sent a copy of these data.