Science is awesome

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Spinach Dip

Delicious with nachos
10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Either someone found a glitch in the matrix, or this is what the triple point of a substance looks like.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
1378329498-shutterstock_117356578.jpg

Members don't see this ad :)
Saw it earlier, it's cool, but is it something spectacular? Never took any meaningful science courses btw.

1250543_feel_jpg550888eb1818399536ea76a8491fba8c

Reactions: 1 user
Have you guys ever used a rotovap? I saw the solvent trap do this a few times when I was an undergrad. It was never that intense but it was still weird to see.

Have you guys ever used a rotovap? I saw the solvent trap do this a few times when I was an undergrad. It was never that intense but it was still weird to see.

Not that I remember. And nice tiger cubs in your avatar. That brings the feels. :happy::couchpotato:

Not that I remember. And nice tiger cubs in your avatar. That brings the feels. :happy::couchpotato:

Mountain lion cubs actually! It brings back my memories from working in a zoo...

And a rotovap looks like dis.

rotovap1.jpg

Mountain lion cubs actually! It brings back my memories from working in a zoo...

And a rotovap looks like dis.

rotovap1.jpg

They're still cubs! :biglove::love::biglove:

Aw man.. that thing... i remember that from my ochem lab to vaporize a solvent after a distillation (or recrystallization?) from an esterification reaction... i won't get near that with a 10-foot pole.

We used in plant partitioning. separate plant material out of hexanes, DCM, ethanol. It was okay, but sometimes I'd spend a half hour to an hour trying to get it to work. I couldn't manage to make the water run one to work to save my life.

We used in plant partitioning. separate plant material out of hexanes, DCM, ethanol. It was okay, but sometimes I'd spend a half hour to an hour trying to get it to work. I couldn't manage to make the water run one to work to save my life.

Yeah same problem. Hopefully i won't see that thing again (even if i do, as long as I'm an observer, I'm happy)

Yeah same problem. Hopefully i won't see that thing again (even if i do, as long as I'm an observer, I'm happy)

I completely agree. My PI would leave notes to the post docs and grad students sometimes saying "Frostbite is coming in at this time and she hates using this rotovap so please have your work done because we want to utilize our undergraduate students time"

Winning.

They're still cubs! :biglove::love::biglove:

Aw man.. that thing... i remember that from my ochem lab to vaporize a solvent after a distillation (or recrystallization?) from an esterification reaction... i won't get near that with a 10-foot pole.
Only our TAs could play with them -_-

I completely agree. My PI would leave notes to the post docs and grad students sometimes saying "Frostbite is coming in at this time and she hates using this rotovap so please have your work done because we want to utilize our undergraduate students time"

Winning.

#humblebrag #jelly #MountainLionCubsRule

Only our TAs could play with them -_-

Yeah, they're weirdos

Reactions: 1 user
#humblebrag #jelly #MountainLionCubsRule

Yeah, they're weirdos
You mean TAs? All the ones I've ever had were useless. Not able to explain anything. Leaving reagents out to denaturate and ruin experiments. Being allowed to grade stuff. Stupid TAs. :yeahright: