science letters of rec...

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - DO' started by bla_3x, Jul 19, 2002.

1. bla_3x

bla_3x Grip it and rip it!
    7+ Year Member

It is really frustratng that a lot of schools are asking for two science letters of rec. I have only one and it's not my best one. I took his classs two years ago and all he can say really is that I was in his class and that I got a good grade. Getting another was not possible, and I've tried (one even turned me down and said "not for medical school!"). I do have an excellent letter form a statistics professor, but AACOMAS doesn't list stats as a science. AAAAHHHHHHHHHHH:mad: I also have a really good letter from another professor of mine (Assistant director of bands), a letter from a D.O. and a well respected pathologist. Should I just go for it and send in these and hope??? Has anyone else had or heard of someone having this dilema? Thanks!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. conmantlc

conmantlc Member
    7+ Year Member

I totally feel for you.. I understand your dilemna perfectly. the same thing happened to me, I had huge classes where I didn't really know my professors beyond office hours. I did get to know one of my younger professors though, because i took a smaller chem summer class with her, and the following semester she helped me in o chem. So there was one letter. Then the second, i had no idea. I did have a very good letter from a calculus professor. I simply assumed calc to be close enough to a science that it would count. Nope..Schools would call me to say my file was incomplete because i didnt have that second science. LECOM even told me that all i needed to do was to have some professor write some formality letter with no more than a sentence and it would count. To me this is absolute BS, because i think a good calc (or stats in your case) letter should count more than the stupid formality letter. So, what I did was to write to schools an official business type letter stating why i did not have a second science letter (huge classes, told by my advisor that calc would count, etc..) and that i wanted the calculus letter to count for the second science letter. I said I felt it better represented me and a letter of formality was just that. Surprisingly, most schools accepted this letter and said it was okay to use a calc letter. The only school that didnt was LECOM, but screw them. I sent the letter to: Western, PCOM, Touro, Ohio, and it worked. So if you do this, there is precedent that it has been done. Just make the letter very business like and official, and the admissions committee will probably accept it, if you have other good letters. Send me a pm if you actually want a copy of the letter, i can attach it to email and send it to you if you think it would help. Good luck.
    connor

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Mcatatonia

Mcatatonia Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

Do u guys know if LOR's from a computer science prof and an engineering prof count as those "science" LOR ?? :(

4. conmantlc

conmantlc Member
    7+ Year Member

no...usually science consists of biology, chem, physics, and anything biology or chem related, like zoology or biochem. check with schools to find out their preferences.

5. OP
    OP
    bla_3x

bla_3x Grip it and rip it!
    7+ Year Member

Connor,
    Thanks a lot for your help. It's good to know that someone else has felt this situation. I am going to write a letter such as the one you spoke of now and send it to my schools (TOURO, KCOM, and COMP). It appears that AZCOM and CCOM don't require the "science" letter, rather "Two letters of rec., one must be from a D.O...preferably a professor who has taught you in the past," so that could be good as AZCOM is my first choice. Thanks again!!!