Science LORs from Undergrad a MUST for Non-Trads?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Got Em

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Here is my situation. I am a pharmacist working 40-50 hours per week and have been out of undergrad for 7 years now (8 years by the time I apply). I work 10 days straight with an eratic schedule of 8am-4pm or 2pm-10pm that flip flops. This makes it almost impossible to take classes that are not online. I actually have all the pre-reqs that are needed, so there is no point for me to re-take the classes anyway. Needless to say, I'm having trouble with the science LOR requirement. Also, since most of my pharmacy professors are in the field to expand the knowledge and scope for pharmacists, this would likely create a conflict of interest if I ask my pharmacy professors.

Now, is there anyway that I can get by without any science LORs from an undergraduate institution? I can get LORs from my work and other pharmacists in my field, but is the science LOR a must? If it comes down to it, I will definitely ask my professors in pharmacy school, but I'm not going to be able to get any LORs from my undergraduate school. How did you guys get by without taking more classes? I would like to get a general feeling on this process before I email each school that I'm interested in applying to. Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

No. I didn't use any undergraduate letters.

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't see how asking pharm profs is a conflict for them. They are/were your most recent professors in a professional school. Either way, contact your schools of choice and ask them directly how they feel about it. I'm guessing recent profs are better than UG in your case

Who did you get your letters from if you don't mind me asking? Also, were all the schools that you applied to okay with no undergraduate letters?

I used letters from graduate professors and research PI's that I worked with during graduate school.

What is an organic chem teacher from 4/5 years prior to my application really going to say about me? That I got an A? Is that a good letter? lol.

It looks like I'll have to contact my pharm professors. Has anybody gotten in strictly using letters from colleagues, bosses, and physicians?

It looks like I'll have to contact my pharm professors. Has anybody gotten in strictly using letters from colleagues, bosses, and physicians?

The guidelines for LOR's are obviously set for more traditional students. Under your circumstances your grades are all they would care about from undergrad at best. LOR's from people who do not know you on a personal level are worthless regardless.

I got in with minimal class LOR's. My LOR's consisted of 1 classroom professor. Others were from Military supervisor, Civilian professional reference, research head etc.

I do not foresee any troubles for you. Your more recent professional life should overshadow anything from your undergrad.

How many years after undergrad do you guys think is enough for undergrad LORs to be unnecessary?

I don't plan on using any LORs from undergraduate classes. I will use letters from my research adviser, previous employer, a committee member from grad school, and my volunteer coordinator. I think as a non-trad it makes sense to get LORs from people who know you well and have worked with you rather than from a professor for a class of 200 undergrads that may barely remember you.

My school required an LOR from undergrad pre-med committee. So, even though I graduated 8 years ago, I had to e-mail professors that I had not kept in contact with to ask them for a recommendation. It was a little awkward.

However, they were totally nice, and said they remembered me (hmmm, doubtful). Once they said they would do it, I wrote up a little blurb specific to each professor about my favorite parts of the classes I had with them and what I learned and how what I wanted to do in medicine was related, and a little about what I had done since I graduated. And I thanked them profusely for helping me make this long-held dream come true.

I guess the letters were well-written... I got in EDP (though it was in-state school).

All that to say, I think it helps to submit the notes, so that work is easier for them and it will say what you are hoping it will say. But, I think it should be specific & unique for each writer... Anyway. I would have prefered to use more recent LORs, but I wanted to let you know that for me, it worked out fine with the from-undergrad LORs too.

I'm applying this coming cycle and did the same thing rural did. A lot of schools require something from an undergraduate class. I graduated 4 years ago but I had a relationship with 2 science professors (I TAed for one of them) and emailed them my PS and a transcript from undergrad and told them a little bit about what I've been up to since graduation. For one, I had a course performance report they had written about me back then and scanned it in. I'm also going to ask the prof I have now w/ whom I'm taking organic.
In the end, call the school's you're applying to and ask what they want/will accept given your circumstance :) good luck!

I will not get ANY of mine from undergrad professors.

Mine will be:
-The department head of my doctoral department. It is kind of tradition to ask him for a LOR, especially for something this important.

-My research advisor. Great guy.

-A neonatologist that I did my first research rotation with.

My research advisor will have to vouch for my coursework performance I guess. The other people know me and my research endeavors. Maybe I should get one from someone that was strictly a professor...hmm. Now you got me thinkin'!

Ask your pharm professors, definitely. They will know you better than some undergrad professor from forever ago!