Quantcast

Science LORs/Science GPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Deadpool786

Reaction score
Hey guys,
I took Independent Study for two years working in a lab for credit and pay under an immunology professor. The title was MCB 399...MCB stands for molecular and cellular biology. I obtained a letter of recommendation from this professor and I have two quick questions.
1) Will this letter count as a science letter?
2) Will this course go in my science GPA? I got around 12 units from this..

Torr

Never Forget Tupac
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,
I took Independent Study for two years working in a lab for credit and pay under an immunology professor. The title was MCB 399...MCB stands for molecular and cellular biology. I obtained a letter of recommendation from this professor and I have two quick questions.
1) Will this letter count as a science letter?
2) Will this course go in my science GPA? I got around 12 units from this..

1) No. A science letter is from someone that taught you in a class. Doesn't count if they explained some research concepts to you during downtime in the lab. I actually tried this because I've been out of school for a while but didnt work so had to go back and find old science professors.

2) I believe it does count. If theres any discrepancy on your AACOMAS app, and they re-classify it for you then you may have to send them a course description to prove it qualifies and they'll change it if they agree.

koan

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
1) No. A science letter is from someone that taught you in a class. Doesn't count if they explained some research concepts to you during downtime in the lab. I actually tried this because I've been out of school for a while but didnt work so had to go back and find old science professors.

It sounds like this research experience does qualify as a class for credit, and the PI as a science faculty. Therefore I'd say it would count... but obviously you'd want to confirm with AACOMAS and possibly a few schools' Admissions Departments.

Torr

Never Forget Tupac
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
It sounds like this research experience does qualify as a class for credit, and the PI as a science faculty. Therefore I'd say it would count... but obviously you'd want to confirm with AACOMAS and possibly a few schools' Admissions Departments.

It might be possible to find a school that will take a "research" letter as "science faculty" but I know of a few that DEFINITELY do not. If you don't want to get caught up in this issue later and have to scramble for more letters (while remaining incomplete and delaying your application progress) then you should seek out professors who taught a class you were in and can say something good about you. Don't mess up your chances of being considered at a program on a formality like this!

If you have a letter forwarding service at your campus then (usually) you can add as many letters as you like to your file and when it comes time to apply you can pick and choose which ones you want to forward. So go out and find at least 2 professors that are science faculty and ask for letters. If later on you find that a program only needs 1 letter or will take your "research" letter then you can omit the 2 science letters from your file and just don't send them if you think they're weak.

Better safe than rejected :).

Torr

Never Forget Tupac
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just call up the schools and check with them. I know from my own application that at SOME programs even though the letter is from faculty and even though the course counts towards your science GPA this does NOT count as a "science" letter.

I had independent study courses in biochemistry and I recieved an LOR from the professor (faculty member) and it DID NOT count.

Call up schools.