Science major advice for postbac work?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Doctoress

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I just graduated from undergrad with a biology major. i had originally planned on dental school, but then decided recently I'd be happier in med school, so I'd like to change paths. My science gpa is 2.96, overall gpa is 3.3.

Basically I came into college with zero science skills/knowledge, so it didn't come easily to me at all, and I had to teach myself everything. Anyways, I was wondering if anyone knows what would be the best option for a post-bac, either program, or just series of classes I should take, that would allow me to be a competitive applicant when I apply in a couple of years? I'd like to be in the New York area if possible as well. I also am short on $$, so I can't afford a second undergrad or anything. Am I doomed? Ideas?

Members don't see this ad.

Hi, I just graduated from undergrad with a biology major. i had originally planned on dental school, but then decided recently I'd be happier in med school, so I'd like to change paths. My science gpa is 2.96, overall gpa is 3.3.

Basically I came into college with zero science skills/knowledge, so it didn't come easily to me at all, and I had to teach myself everything. Anyways, I was wondering if anyone knows what would be the best option for a post-bac, either program, or just series of classes I should take, that would allow me to be a competitive applicant when I apply in a couple of years? I'd like to be in the New York area if possible as well. I also am short on $$, so I can't afford a second undergrad or anything. Am I doomed? Ideas?
Take loans like most people. And 60% of people go into college with no amazing science skills. But Apply to DO school once you take your Mcat. That GPA is way to low for MD schools

Do you know of the best way of going about making my gpa higher at this point? Like through a program or...?

Members don't see this ad :)
Do you know of the best way of going about making my gpa higher at this point? Like through a program or...?

If you have the money you can opt to apply to formal postbacc programs or look into doing a SMP. Taking classes at a community college would be easier, or look into taking classes at a 4 year via open university. Since you already have your bachelors in biology try other upper division classes you haven't attempted yet and focus on acing them.

If you have the money you can opt to apply to formal postbacc programs or look into doing a SMP. Taking classes at a community college would be easier, or look into taking classes at a 4 year via open university. Since you already have your bachelors in biology try other upper division classes you haven't attempted yet and focus on acing them.

I can't find any SMP's in NYC for sci majors (also would i even be able to get into them?) and how many classes would I take? Like if I did one semester of 4-5 hard core upper division science classes, would that be enough do you think?

I can't find any SMP's in NYC for sci majors (also would i even be able to get into them?) and how many classes would I take? Like if I did one semester of 4-5 hard core upper division science classes, would that be enough do you think?

Some SMPs require an MCAT and the most competitive programs are ones that offer a linkage with a medical school. I can't comment on a course load I would recommend for you without knowing your life situation. I feel take whatever is necessary, but only what you can handle with your given obligations.