Science- Major, Minor(s) or General degree

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gochi

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello !

My situation- 2nd yr, cant take calc 3, cant take analytical chem, cant take orgo chem 2

I'm interested only in chemistry. A BSc requires me to have the courses mentioned above, but i do not want to go wait a whole year to do them.

How bad is it if I have a minor in chem and sicence X as my BSc. degree versus a BSc. Major in Chem ?

How bad is it I have a general BSc. (chem/math/bio) versus a BSc. Major in Chem ?

By "bad" I mean, if one of the three options will alow me to find a good stable job if med doesnt work out. For ex, most bio majors dont really make that much after completing a Bachelors in Biology. I know by reading the forums that Chemists have the potential to make substantially higher given the perfect oppurtunity. But what about chem minors or general degree holders ?

Also, even if do do a general degree, 80% of the courses will be chem courses.

Members don't see this ad.

I don't know how this works exactly, but I imagine if having the minor makes you ACS certified you could get a job as a "chemist" and make similar money as having your B.S.

However, why can't you take calc 3 and ochem 2 or analytical chem?

Is this the Canadian system of bachelors degrees? I am not really following this general degree thing (general degree in what exactly)...

FYI I am pretty sure BSc is the acronym for a canadian or european bachelor of science degree (where BS means bachelor of surgery). Perhaps this was your intention, but if your degree is from the US its a B.S.

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't know how this works exactly, but I imagine if having the minor makes you ACS certified you could get a job as a "chemist" and make similar money as having your B.S.

However, why can't you take calc 3 and ochem 2 or analytical chem?

One of the courses is full are while the other two are not offered. I would have to wait until next fall to take those courses; definetly dont want to do that.

Is this the Canadian system of bachelors degrees? I am not really following this general degree thing (general degree in what exactly)...

FYI I am pretty sure BSc is the acronym for a canadian or european bachelor of science degree (where BS means bachelor of surgery). Perhaps this was your intention, but if your degree is from the US its a B.S.

Yea, Im from Canada.

General BSc. (Bachelors of Science)= 100 credits of any science (50 upper/50lower) + 20 credits from other faculties (this is an estimate)

BSc. Major in Chem= mostly chem courses(70% chem)
BSc. Major in Chem + SubjectX= Chem and SubjectX in roughly equal amounts.

So in the states, you guys dont have options for a general degree, or minors ?

Yea, Im from Canada
So in the states, you guys dont have options for a general degree, or minors ?

From my experience in the US one has to "major" in a subject, and that subject is your degree, whether it be biology, chemistry, biochemistry, english, spanish, whatever (BA or BS depending). Each has a number of required courses and a required number of electives in the subject. On top of this you can minor (a less stringent criteria, which doesnt count as a full degree and is not required).

But from my knowledge, I do not know of a general "science" degree, so i would not know how that would translate when applying to jobs in the US, but I am sure that as long as you have a bachelors degree, with particular course and laboratory experience suitable to the position you are applying you will be fine. That being said for a chemistry position analytical chemistry and orgo II are pretty important. Sorry I have not really given you any real answers, hopefully someone can speak from experience....

the distinction between degrees matters a lot less in the states than it does in canada. in canada, having a BSc is important, while in the united states, some schools actually only offer BAs or ABs. think about what you want to do with your degree.

Yeah, I didn't realize you were in Canada. I'm assuming the ACS (American Chemical Society) probably doesn't give accreditation to Canadian schools (it might though).