Science major vs. non science major

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NF81

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do you guys think that those who didn't major in science as an undergrad are at a disadvantage in dental school???? Some people say that if you can get into dental school then you've proven that you have enough science knowledge and that you have the potential to do just as well...but others claim that you might slightly be a little behind those who majored in bio or biochem.... I'm not sure... so what are your thoughts???????

Members don't see this ad.

Well, these are not connected to dental school, but I would like to share my experience which is quite similar.

My major is statistics which is an applied area of mathematics NOT science, and I am currently pursuing a PhD. However, I had not taken biology since I had taken AP biology in high school and got a 4 on the AP exam in 1997. So last semester I took the undergrad genetics course at NCSU (my only other science courses in undergrad were gen chem and gen physics which I had taken two semester of each at a cc in the academic year 2001-2002, note: I earned my undergrad in two years later.) So, I was told to watch out for the last two tests which had no statistics or quantitative questions. As you know there is classical, Mendelian, population, and molecular genetics. So on the first, molecular test I earned 88.5 and on the second molecular test I earned a 92.5 and the class averages were 78 and 67 respectively (hence I was 10.5 points above average on one test and 25.5 points above the average on the other, along with an A at the end of the class. And most students in the class were undergrad pre-med / pre-dental / biochem / whatever you call it majors. Hence, you do not have to be a science major to do well in dental school! In fact, I realized that I was pretty good at this. It comes to both your analytic and study habits.

I felt like I was at a disadvantage during the 1st two years, but after that, it's all fair game since the mat'l is new to everyone 3rd and 4th years...

NF81 said:
Do you guys think that those who didn't major in science as an undergrad are at a disadvantage in dental school???? Some people say that if you can get into dental school then you've proven that you have enough science knowledge and that you have the potential to do just as well...but others claim that you might slightly be a little behind those who majored in bio or biochem.... I'm not sure... so what are your thoughts???????

Members don't see this ad :)
NF81 said:

I was an Econ major in undergrad. Do I feel behind? Sometimes, but just as much as any of the bio majors. The people who do the best in our class, are the freakin excercise and fitness majors. They know everything about anything with anatomy and that helps.

I studies Anthropology as an undergrad... Just so long as you can explain yourself during an interview why you choose your chosen course of study.