Science major who did not get into medical school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Emmet2301

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know of any or is a science major that did not get into medical school? What are you doing now? Are you going to reapply. What do you think was your "weakpoint" for not being admitted into med school. Are you going to not apply again and work in your field?

Members don't see this ad.

Seriously.

A science major does not equal automatic med school acceptance. So yes there are tons of people who did not get in.

Also read the forums. The answers are there.

Does anyone know of any or is a science major that did not get into medical school?

I know plenty. Mostly because they didn't apply. Because not all science majors are pre-med. Shocking I know.

Members don't see this ad :)
In any given year, more than half of all applicants to allopathic medical schools do not matriculate in that cycle to an allopathic school. Clearly, some go to osteopathic schools, some may go to off-shore schools. You can bet that thousands of science majors apply but don't get admitted to med school.

Granted, I usually see people who reapply.

Some teach high school, tutor or teach test prep classes. Some get jobs in research labs or in quality control labs (e.g. doing microbiology checks of manufactured products). Some work in clinical research at a med school (recruiting subjects, obtaining consent for research, handling regulatory paperwork, collecting samples and data which may include learning how to draw blood, etc).

Some take a job doing something flexible to make it easier to reapply: retail sales and substitute teaching are two that come to mind.

Does anyone know of any or is a science major that did not get into medical school? What are you doing now? Are you going to reapply. What do you think was your "weakpoint" for not being admitted into med school. Are you going to not apply again and work in your field?

as a matter of fact.. I was a science major who didn't get in.. twice.. haha.. i applied junior and senior summers didn't get in either time.. the year after i graduated i just taught for kaplan and shadowed some, the year after that (since id idn't get in from senior summer application, and this was last year) i did the masters in physiology program at U of cinci.. pulled off all A's and one B, applied early decision and got into UC. I know my weakpoint was my grades, i had mostly B's and a couple C's junior and senior year. that was my reason foro doing the mastesr program, so i could pull my grades up, and it worked for me

Id like to say 5000, or more, science majors do not get in each year.:D Like said science major does not equal admittance.

I know plenty. Mostly because they didn't apply. Because not all science majors are pre-med. Shocking I know.
You mean you can do OTHER things with a background in science?:eek:

I'm a science major and I didn't get in. What can you do? Work on your application: study, improve your GPA, get clinical experience, get a job and save some money, be a lab rat...I dunno. Just do something in the interim that will positively reflect on you. I didn't think I'd be working in a methadone clinic doing health education with a BS in science, but hey: you can contribute meaningfully to society before you get into med school!! Or maybe, just maybe, find something else you'd like to do.

You mean you can do OTHER things with a background in science?:eek:

Whoa, whoa, whoa...let's not get in over our heads. Its not like we can go finding a cure for cancer or teach.

flynn.jpg

I got a Master's degree after my first non-acceptance, then took a job doing computer programming/research/data analysis after my second non-acceptance.