Science passages in MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

zoner

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently doing TBR and almost 90 percent of the time, I don't really have to read the passage to do well. Is that how it really is on MCAT too?

Members don't see this ad.

You definitely should read the passages, as they often contain stuff that you'll need for answering the questions. However, the passages do often contain some material that is irrelevant when it comes time to answer the questions, so don't get hung up on a passage if you're struggling to understand a certain part, because there's a good chance you won't need to understand that part. You should be able to read through them fairly quickly; make sure you familiarize yourself with the passage contents in case you need to refer back.

I am currently doing TBR and almost 90 percent of the time, I don't really have to read the passage to do well. Is that how it really is on MCAT too?
it works for me in the physical science section. i don't have to read the passage to answer the questions.

i think if you are really knowledgeable and have a lot of background on the topic you wouldn't need to read the essays.
but for most people, like myself, need to read the passages. but i think skimming it will help you regardless. if you can go through the section without seriously reading the passages then you should have plenty of time to at least skim the passage for equations or such that you might not have memorized. or just get a general idea of what kind of questions to expect in that section.
good luck to you.