Science Questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jaboy

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know of a website that has a forum for science questions?

Members don't see this ad.

MCAT should work.

•••quote:•••Originally posted by jaboy:
•Does anyone know of a website that has a forum for science questions?•••••I'm not sure if this is what none meant, but check out the MCAT Discussion forum here on SDN. I believe there is a thread with questions and answers. Or you could start one... :D

Members don't see this ad :)
Ok, I'll try that. I have some questions that may not be mcat stuff...more basic in nature. Like what is the Heisenburg Uncertainity principle? I can memorize it (The more precisely the position is determined, the less precisely the momentum is known in this instant, and vice versa) but why?

•••quote:•••Originally posted by jaboy:
•Ok, I'll try that. I have some questions that may not be mcat stuff...more basic in nature. Like what is the Heisenburg Uncertainity principle? I can memorize it (The more precisely the position is determined, the less precisely the momentum is known in this instant, and vice versa) but why?•••••You should just accept that principle since it is based on pure mathematical observation.

The basic reason behind the Heisenberg Uncertainty principle is that when scientists attempt to measure the position of an electron, such a high resolution is required that it disturbs the system, causing the momentum to be disturbed and thus not allowing the momentum to be accurately measured. This arises from the fact that an electron has both wave and particle properties. Because of the wave properties, an attempt to measure the electron's momentum only results in an inaccurate measure of the electron's position as the electron is essentially moving at the speed of light (3 x 10^8 m/s).

Hope this helps,

Sachin