SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

science recommendation advice

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by DesiDentist, Jun 2, 2002.

1. DesiDentist

DesiDentist G. S. Khurana, DMD, MBA Moderator Emeritus Exhibitor 10+ Year Member

Jul 21, 2001
    Washington, DC
    SDN Exhibitor
    many science classes are taught by two or more professors at my school. If I have the opportunity of getting recommendations from both profs should I take it. Your advice is appreciated.

DesiDentist

PS: I already have a science prof's recommendations, but some schools make ridiculous requests (ehm..Columbia etc) that you need 3 science recommendations. :mad: ) I hope you feel me where I am coming from. I did good in this class, and it wouldn't hurt to hit two birds with one stone.

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. Beagle

Beagle Meet BEAGLE 7+ Year Member

Jul 16, 2001
    California
    I would go ahead and get the second recommendation. Doesnt hurt!
    Are there schools that require 2 Science proff's and one liberal arts?
    I have 3 science proff's so I'm worried that this may be a problem..

4. Bikini Princess

Bikini Princess 7+ Year Member

May 26, 2002
    </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by Beagle:
    <strong>I would go ahead and get the second recommendation. Doesnt hurt!
    Are there schools that require 2 Science proff's and one liberal arts?
    I have 3 science proff's so I'm worried that this may be a problem..</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Yes, does anyone know the answer to this?

5. Blue Tooth

Blue Tooth Senior Member 7+ Year Member

Aug 29, 2001
    Ann Arbor, MI
    From my experience from last year, most schools that I came across wanted 2 science and 1 non-science. Specifics will be with the AADSAS app and the guide book.

6. EyeCandy

EyeCandy Senior Member 7+ Year Member

Dec 7, 2001
    Guys,
    I too have a science recommendation question. In regards to Tufts, they have listed on their website that they REQUIRE a letter by a chemistry professor. I already have asked several profs, including my science recs, but I did not ask a chem professor for a letter of rec. I just didn't ask a chem prof b/c I really did not interact w/ them. I was wondering if you guys think that schools such as Tufts will enforce their letter of rec policy?? Should I somehow track down a chem prof and ask him/her?? Has anyone that applied to Tufts this past year know what's up???? Pleas help, I am running out of time, I gotta send in my application soon!! Let me know what you guys think.

7. Viraj

Viraj Senior Member 10+ Year Member

Jan 18, 2002
    Boston
    Hey
    I will be attending Tufts Univ this fall, and I had 3 letters of rec. One from a Microbiology prof, one from Physics prof, and the last one from a Biochem prof. They really weren't that stuck up about any Chem rec, so I would say if u have 3 letter of recs from any Science prof it will fulfill the requirment. If you have any other questions regarding Tufts or general, I would be more than happy to answer
    Viraj

8. space kacy

space kacy Member 7+ Year Member

Mar 29, 2002
    Ann Arbor, MI
    DesiDentist,

Go ahead and get those recommendations in case you do apply somewhere that requires 3. You don't want to be short a letter. I sent in 3 letters last year from sci profs to 15 schools. I'm sure one of those wanted a non-sci letter but no one said anything so I guess they didn't care. I think the sci letters are worth more anyway.

9. Buckyball

Buckyball Play with my "Buckyballs" 7+ Year Member

Dec 19, 2001
    EyeCandy,

I had a different experience than Viraj. I had a lot of chemistry profs write letters, but no biology ones. I had conflicting reports everytime I talked with them about whether biochem was okay or not. And they absolutely would not budge on the biology professor letter, so I had to track down a professor which had me in a class of over 1000 students to ask them to write me a letter. Of course, the prof said the letter would not be strong, and how could it be... it's not like she remembered me or anything!

So, yes, Tufts is very strict in terms of letters. Get a chem prof to do it, or they'll hassle you to do so!

Bucky

10. Yeah, Eyecandy, I wouldn't press my luck. If they say that they want it in the guidelines you have, then they probably want it. I don't think that dental schools make up "requirements" just for fun. Besides, what would you do if you didn't get that chem. recommendation and you somehow still got an interview and then the committee asked you why you didn't follow their guidelines? Would you tell them, "I didn't think you really meant it."? :mad:

11. Beagle

Beagle Meet BEAGLE 7+ Year Member

Jul 16, 2001
    California
    Is there a page that shows what each school requires specifically in terms of Letters of Rec?
    I went to many Schools websites, and very often, they do not specify what they want. I wish I had known schools were so picky before I even got the letters of recommednation! BU says you have to have three letters from SENIOR faculty members!
    How serious are they about this? I don't even have one that is a senior faculty member!
    Why are they so picky?? What is the deal with having to have a chemistry proff write you a letter? Is it only at Tufts?

12. EyeCandy

EyeCandy Senior Member 7+ Year Member

Dec 7, 2001
    Thanks for all of your input guys!!
    I'll track down an o-chem prof and hopefully he will be understanding and help me out. :( I guess I just have to explain to another person "why dentistry?"
    I'll let you guys know how it works out.

Beagle: I too don't know why they have such specific letter of rec requirements, but in the end we have to do what they want in order to gain acceptance. Try to do everything possible to have all of your application done and over with so you can just CHILL and await interview invites!! :cool: