1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Science recommendations - HELP!

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - DO' started by PalCareGrl, Mar 31, 2001.

1. PalCareGrl

PalCareGrl Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    Hi, I need some wisdom. I am currently a graduate student and I have one strong science rec. from undergrad (from my advisor who also taught me in an upper level course). Unfortunately, I can't get a committee letter and out of the seven schools that I'm applying to, two require two science recommendations without exception.

Does anyone know whether math (calculus) is considered a natural science? Other than that, I don't have anyone who can write me a science recommendation...

Also, does anyone familiar with OU or LECOM know how much this will hurt my application if I cannot find another science recommendation?

Any comments/suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thanks. [​IMG]

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. healthydawg

healthydawg Member
    10+ Year Member

hi,

i don't know if i can share wisdom but maybe i can put you at ease a bit. while i cannot speak to OU or LECOM's stringency with this requirement, i can say in my experience the schools i applied to were not inflexible about the letters. like you, i had one really solid science rec. i also had one from a prof who supervised me in a research setting - not a formal class. but all of that was years ago when i was an undergrad. in the meantime i started working instead of grad school.

what i ended up sending was one letter from my supervisor (an MD), the strong science letter from years back, and one letter from a DO (also recent). no one challenged me on it, and ta-dah, i got in. thus, i suspect your science letter, a letter from a math prof, and one from a DO (if you have it)would work just as well. the DO letter is really important. also maybe your advisor since presumably he/she knows your academic potential well. you can talk to the admissions coordinator to make sure.

good luck, i hope things work out.

4. PalCareGrl

PalCareGrl Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    Thanks Healthydawg, that does help to alleviate some of my fears. I did talk to OU and they insisted that I send two science letters but that additional letters (like from my grad program) were allowed and welcomed. I just felt a little iffy about the math letter, but like you said, I guess it will be okay in the end. Thanks again for your help! [​IMG] Liz