Dismiss Notice
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Science recommendations - HELP!

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - DO' started by PalCareGrl, Mar 31, 2001.

1. PalCareGrl

PalCareGrl Senior Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    Hi, I need some wisdom. I am currently a graduate student and I have one strong science rec. from undergrad (from my advisor who also taught me in an upper level course). Unfortunately, I can't get a committee letter and out of the seven schools that I'm applying to, two require two science recommendations without exception.

Does anyone know whether math (calculus) is considered a natural science? Other than that, I don't have anyone who can write me a science recommendation...

Also, does anyone familiar with OU or LECOM know how much this will hurt my application if I cannot find another science recommendation?

Any comments/suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thanks. [​IMG]

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. healthydawg

healthydawg Member

hi,

i don't know if i can share wisdom but maybe i can put you at ease a bit. while i cannot speak to OU or LECOM's stringency with this requirement, i can say in my experience the schools i applied to were not inflexible about the letters. like you, i had one really solid science rec. i also had one from a prof who supervised me in a research setting - not a formal class. but all of that was years ago when i was an undergrad. in the meantime i started working instead of grad school.

what i ended up sending was one letter from my supervisor (an MD), the strong science letter from years back, and one letter from a DO (also recent). no one challenged me on it, and ta-dah, i got in. thus, i suspect your science letter, a letter from a math prof, and one from a DO (if you have it)would work just as well. the DO letter is really important. also maybe your advisor since presumably he/she knows your academic potential well. you can talk to the admissions coordinator to make sure.

good luck, i hope things work out.

4. PalCareGrl

PalCareGrl Senior Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    Thanks Healthydawg, that does help to alleviate some of my fears. I did talk to OU and they insisted that I send two science letters but that additional letters (like from my grad program) were allowed and welcomed. I just felt a little iffy about the math letter, but like you said, I guess it will be okay in the end. Thanks again for your help! [​IMG] Liz