1. Hey Guest! Check out the 3 MCAT Study Plan Options listed in the 'stickies' area at the top of the forums (BoomBoom, SN2ed, and MCATJelly). Let us know which you like best.

Also, we now offer a MCAT Test-Prep Exhibitions Forum where you can ask questions directly from the test-prep services.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
  3. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

science section improvement?????

Discussion in 'MCAT Discussions' started by sotired, Aug 7, 2006.

1. sotired

sotired sotired
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    i seem to be stagnating on the science sections...can't seem to pull above an 11 (low range) - and that was once. i seem to hover from about 20-15 wrong, and i'm wondering how to bring it up. i have been going over my mistakes carefully and most of the other questions, and i'm not sure what else to do.

a lot of people on here seem to be sitting comfortable around 11-13 range in both ps and bs..

any advice would be greatly, greatly appreciated!

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. bkpa2med

10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Be happy with an 11.

4. sotired

sotired sotired
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical

it only happened once, and i'm skeptical if i can do it again

5. 4s4

4s4 Member
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Yes, exact same problem, and 11 happened only once in PS, and my BS score has never gotten above 10. I'm really worried about BS at this point; somehow I don't feel that it's the studying since I've taken most courses pertinent to the material. Anyone have some hints? Thanks!

6. 87138

87138 Guest

Medical Student

I haven't taken the real thing, so please take what I say with a grain of salt.

Learn to use the passages to your advantage. You should be able to quickly recognize a question that's asking something that requires information within the passage, and a question that's really just a free-standing question related to the passage's topic (and can be answered without reading the passage at all, if you have the fundamental knowledge/concepts of that topic down).

There have been too many times where I'll score practice exams and realize the correct answer to a question was practically taken verbatim (or at least fairly obvious) from the passage. In my rush to get through everything, I failed to actually realize this and tried to reason my way through it with only my prior knowledge, which usually led to a flustered guess.

7. sotired

sotired sotired
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    do you think the problem might be details? i heard that reviewing flashcards and reminding yourself of the small details (that i may have been overlooking while trying to get my test taking strategy down) might help bump up your score and get the additional points i need.

any thoughts on this?

8. 4s4

4s4 Member
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Thanks for the help guys! That might be it, though I just get so bored when I'm looking at Kaplan's stupid flashcards (which I really don't find helpful). I guess I should make my own, though I've never actually done it for school before. I'll marking my BS Kaplan 11 today, so I'll see if there's any improvement. I did try to pay attention more this time =P

9. doyourealize1

doyourealize1 Member
    2+ Year Member

Know the concepts really well. There's only so much they can ask you, but they ask you to apply them to different situations. For physical sciences, just memorize the equations and be able to recognize very well when certain variables change and what a change in that variable does for the whole system. The AAMC will never throw a passage at you for no random reason...just try to identify the major concepts they're testing and hone in on those concepts when you're answering the questions.

10. sotired

sotired sotired
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    thanks! i'll put that advice to good use:)