Scientific grey area regarding coronavirus and detergent. Any thoughts?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MikeyBee

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, guys! I would appreciate a lot if some of you can share some opinions about a grey area of science for me.

I am an MS and from what I know, detergents are effective against coronavirus because they can break the lipid layer from coronavirus structure which basically leads to virus inactivation. Also, I am aware that the severe cases/deaths due to coronavirus are mostly because of respiratory distress caused by the virus which binds the ACE-II receptors from the lungs epithelium.

Acknowledging this stuff, I wondered what would happen if patients with severe respiratory distress from coronavirus would inhale detergent (it sounds weird, but let me follow on that). My first guess was that the inhalation of detergent would destroy the coronavirus together with the lungs epithelium.

However, what I found surprising is that there are no scientific references to detergent inhalation side-effects. So, any guesses/thoughts on what inhalation of detergent would do to lung epithelium and viruses? Do you think it's worth testing or it's just simply bad? Love to hear other thoughts!

Members don't see this ad.