Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

Scientific research required?

Discussion in 'Medical Students - DO' started by The Man, Nov 3, 2001.

1. The Man

The Man Junior Member

I have heard a lot of talk about scientific research being needed for OMM to be accepted by the medical community. Maybe I am a bit niave but could someone tell me how they have done scientific studies on surgical procedures. I believe that the gold standard is double-blind placebo control so I wonder how that would apply to surgical procedures.

It seems to me that most basis for surgical procedures is anecdotal but it is rarely questioned because the procedures work. By the same token, OMM works! It has worked for over a century with a much lower casualty rate than any surgery that I can think of. So why is it so difficult for people to accept it? Prejudice. Long-standing reluctance of the AMA to accept any medical practice that they did not think of on their own. They only believed that diet and exercise affected health after they "proved" it in the 1970s. DOs have been promoting this concept since AT Still!

Personally, I don't care if MDs ever accept OMM because I am not relying on their acceptance. I will practice it because I know it works and it's results have been proven over and over again.

I welcome your responses.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.