Scientific research vs. biomedical research

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

void

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm an undergrad applying to research positions before I apply to medical school. I have a couple of questions:

1. Do medical schools view research in the basic sciences like chemistry, biology, etc. (that are usually offered in a school's various science departments) differently from biomedical research in specific diseases and such (that are usually offered in a medical school or center)?

I ask this because I am applying to laboratories offered through my school's science departments, primarily the chemistry department since it is my major (biochemistry) but I don't want to be lacking in relevance while others are researching direct causes of cancer and things like that. Should I start applying at teaching hospitals and the like, instead?

2. How important is a publication, anyway? I know that it is not required to have a publication to apply to medical school, but in the past neither was research. As the bar continually rises, is it a necessity to have a few pubs under your belt as a medical school applicant?

--

Aside from all of these questions, which I greatly appreciate responses for. I am also open to general advice when it comes to research and the entire application process (for research). Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

I would do research that you are interested in. If it happens to be in the biology or chemistry department, then that's great. If you run into an excellent opportunity to do clinical research and it piques your interest, then I would definitely take advantage of it.

I don't think publications are necessary or anything to lose sleep over (all the med students I've talked to at various med school previews have corroborated this). If you can get one, then cool, but if it doesn't happen for you, I think the main thing is to show that you are familiar with basic research procedures and how to conduct good, solid scientific research.

I am a sophomore biology major and I'm doing neurological/perception research through the psychology department at our school. It is something that fascinates me, and I am willing to put a lot of time into it because I am captivated by it. So I think the most important thing is to do research you like, because that will motivate you to want to read and discover more about it.

Hope this helps a bit : )

I would do research that you are interested in. If it happens to be in the biology or chemistry department, then that's great. If you run into an excellent opportunity to do clinical research and it piques your interest, then I would definitely take advantage of it.

I don't think publications are necessary or anything to lose sleep over (all the med students I've talked to at various med school previews have corroborated this). If you can get one, then cool, but if it doesn't happen for you, I think the main thing is to show that you are familiar with basic research procedures and how to conduct good, solid scientific research.

I am a sophomore biology major and I'm doing neurological/perception research through the psychology department at our school. It is something that fascinates me, and I am willing to put a lot of time into it because I am captivated by it. So I think the most important thing is to do research you like, because that will motivate you to want to read and discover more about it.

Hope this helps a bit : )
:thumbup:

I did pure chem research...most interviewers seemed interested in the research goals and methods. As long as you show interest in it, it doesn't matter what your research project is.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yep, yep. Of course you must be interested in it, and I am honestly interested in everything. I'm a science fiend. It isn't even a variable for me. So with that out of the way...

Which is better? Scientific research, or biomedical?

---

On another note, I want to be doing hands-on stuff wherever I research. I don't want to be the guy who washes things, and stands on the sidelines.

There are 3 types of research:

1. Basic research
2. Translational research
3. Clinical research

Which one is best? Doesn't matter. The key is to find a lab that will let you do stuff like your own experiments and give you some independence instead of washing beakers or splitting cells for 2 years. I repeat the most important thing in looking for a lab is a generous PI who will trust you enough to let you do significant work so you can leave with some experience you can talk about.

Neither will be better on an app, unless one is more likely to yield a publication.

Put it this way: When you apply to med school, both research experiences will look great on your app. However once you get into med school, your research experiences aren't worth putting on any future CV's........unless you get published.

How important are publications anyway? I've been looking at a lot of different labs, and looking at their pubs and how many undergraduate students are working at them and most undergraduates have no publications. I can't find many in which undergraduates are published.

Also, how important is the institution in which the research is done? I've looked at various institutions ranging from CUNY Biomedical research, to NYU: Poly, to NYU itself (where I go). How important are these?

How important are publications anyway? I've been looking at a lot of different labs, and looking at their pubs and how many undergraduate students are working at them and most undergraduates have no publications. I can't find many in which undergraduates are published.

Also, how important is the institution in which the research is done? I've looked at various institutions ranging from CUNY Biomedical research, to NYU: Poly, to NYU itself (where I go). How important are these?

wanna get published? do clinical research.

no joke