Score Drop in MCAT Retake + 123 CARS Score

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Good4now

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey SDN! I recently got the score for my MCAT retake back and it actually went down from my first MCAT.

9/14/19 --> 509 (125/126/130/128)

[retake] 8/8/20 --> 508 (127/123/130/128)

Now my problem here is that my score went down + my abyssal score in CARS (123). After taking some time to think about it, I have decided not to retake once again and just apply this upcoming June with this score.

My question is, has anyone else been in my situation or do y'all know about people who have been in my situation? I've seen people talking about applying with a score drop or a low subsection score but I'm pretty worried about the score drop IN ADDITION to the terrible 123 CARS score.

Has anyone applied in a situation like this and still received interviews? I feel like my chances at MD are shot which really hurts, but at this point I am questioning whether DO will accept me either since I dropped my score and have the bad CARS score. My GPA is a 3.74 and I think that the other parts of my application are balanced and good to go, this MCAT score seems to be the biggest thing holding me down. Any advice would sincerely be appreciated!

For context, my practice test scores the second time around were a lot higher with an avg of 515 between the first 3 FL. I think my nerves really got to me during my actual MCAT and I couldn't focus on any of the CARS passages.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey SDN! I recently got the score for my MCAT retake back and it actually went down from my first MCAT.

9/14/19 --> 509 (125/126/130/128)

[retake] 8/8/20 --> 508 (127/123/130/128)

Now my problem here is that my score went down + my abyssal score in CARS (123). After taking some time to think about it, I have decided not to retake once again and just apply this upcoming June with this score.

My question is, has anyone else been in my situation or do y'all know about people who have been in my situation? I've seen people talking about applying with a score drop or a low subsection score but I'm pretty worried about the score drop IN ADDITION to the terrible 123 CARS score.

Has anyone applied in a situation like this and still received interviews? I feel like my chances at MD are shot which really hurts, but at this point I am questioning whether DO will accept me either since I dropped my score and have the bad CARS score. My GPA is a 3.74 and I think that the other parts of my application are balanced and good to go, this MCAT score seems to be the biggest thing holding me down. Any advice would sincerely be appreciated!

For context, my practice test scores the second time around were a lot higher with an avg of 515 between the first 3 FL. I think my nerves really got to me during my actual MCAT and I couldn't focus on any of the CARS passages.
Don't be too hard on yourself. It's not great, but it's also not terrible. There is a confidence band of +/- 2 points around your score, and 508 is within that band, so it's really not a drop; it's just not an increase. 123 sucks for CARS, but 126 isn't that different. I actually think you are in the exact same position as you were last year -- your GPA is fine, and you are borderline for MD, and fine for DO with a 508-509. Remember -- you still have the 509/126, and plenty of schools will look at your highest score, while others will average or prioritize your latest score.

Don't beat yourself up over the "drop." The scores will be viewed similarly by adcoms. Just pick schools that don't screen sub 125 subsections. Good luck.

Reactions: 1 user
i think you should be okay. 508/9 are similar enough and still good scores, and schools will probably consider your 126/123 as like a 125 cars which is still fine

Don't be too hard on yourself. It's not great, but it's also not terrible. There is a confidence band of +/- 2 points around your score, and 508 is within that band, so it's really not a drop; it's just not an increase. 123 sucks for CARS, but 126 isn't that different. I actually think you are in the exact same position as you were last year -- your GPA is fine, and you are borderline for MD, and fine for DO with a 508-509. Remember -- you still have the 509/126, and plenty of schools will look at your highest score, while others will average or prioritize your latest score.

Don't beat yourself up over the "drop." The scores will be viewed similarly by adcoms. Just pick schools that don't screen sub 125 subsections. Good luck.
One of the few times I disagree with KnightDoc but 123 in CARS is very different from a 126

Members don't see this ad :)
One of the few times I disagree with KnightDoc but 123 in CARS is very different from a 126
If you are ORM ie Asian 508 or 509 isn’t going to make much of difference since average matriculant Is 513.9.If URM sure fire acceptance to several med schools and you will be heavily recruited. Strong candidate for DO either way

Your first score is stronger than your second. I would apply very broadly to DO and MD programs, preferably to programs without a subsection cutoff.

You don't disagree -- I was just trying to be supportive. :) In my defense, I DID say that OP needs to pick schools that don't screen sub 125 subsections. It's still only 3 points when 1 point represents the confidence interval. Also, don't forget that the 126 did not disappear, so it still gets averaged by schools that average, and it is still the high score for schools that take the high score.

Yeah, having 123 be the later score isn't ideal, but I still truly believe is no worse off than he was before.

Just wanted to sincerely thank everyone for the responses and honesty! This has definitely motivated me to keep going and I will be looking into schools on MSAR that don't screen out subsection scores below 125. Goodluck everyone!