Score reporting/chances question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GobbelyWat

Membership Revoked
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I'm a current 3rd year osteopathic student. I scored in the 190s on Step 1 and in the 490s on COMLEX Level 1. I was wondering am I good for AOA internal medicine? I know my COMLEX score is okay but will AOA residencies hold the 190s Step 1 score against me? Do I even need to report my Step 1 score if I apply AOA? What about for dually accredited residencies that show up in the osteopathic.org search results? Can someone please explain how this works?

My main questions are basically what are my chances? And do I need to report my Step 1 score if I'm only applying to AOA residencies? Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi, I'm a current 3rd year osteopathic student. I scored in the 190s on Step 1 and in the 490s on COMLEX Level 1. I was wondering am I good for AOA internal medicine? I know my COMLEX score is okay but will AOA residencies hold the 190s Step 1 score against me? Do I even need to report my Step 1 score if I apply AOA? What about for dually accredited residencies that show up in the osteopathic.org search results? Can someone please explain how this works?

My main questions are basically what are my chances? And do I need to report my Step 1 score if I'm only applying to AOA residencies? Thank you!

As of right now, you cannot assign USMLE scores to AOA programs if you apply through the osteopathic app on ERAS. That said, some programs may ask you if you took the USMLE and you should probably be truthful about it.

Some dual accredited programs this year have decided not to participate in the AOA match, even though they are on AOA opportunities right now. Be prepared for that. If you apply through the "traditional" i.e. non-osteopathic app in ERAS, you have to release USMLE scores.

Now all of this may change, this is just how it is this year.

You really shouldn't have taken the USMLE, unless I suppose your school forced you to. You should be fine getting into an AOA IM program if you apply early and broadly. Study hard throughout 3rd year, do well on rotations, and show improvement on the Level 2.

As of right now, you cannot assign USMLE scores to AOA programs if you apply through the osteopathic app on ERAS. That said, some programs may ask you if you took the USMLE and you should probably be truthful about it.

Some dual accredited programs this year have decided not to participate in the AOA match, even though they are on AOA opportunities right now. Be prepared for that. If you apply through the "traditional" i.e. non-osteopathic app in ERAS, you have to release USMLE scores.

Now all of this may change, this is just how it is this year.

You really shouldn't have taken the USMLE, unless I suppose your school forced you to. You should be fine getting into an AOA IM program if you apply early and broadly. Study hard throughout 3rd year, do well on rotations, and show improvement on the Level 2.

Thanks for the info.

I have a few more questions now.

What do you mean by "you cannot assign USMLE scores to AOA programs?" Do you mean as in there isn't anywhere on the app that you can put down USMLE scores?

And when will these particular programs ask me if I took USMLE? Interview, or earlier?

How do I apply to only the osteopathic app? I'm trying to avoid sending out USMLE scores.

And yeah I was scoring low 200s on NBME practice tests and my scores had an upward trend so I figured I would score slightly higher on the real deal. Plus I invested so much money into it. So I decided to take it and I scored lower than expected. Oh well at least I passed. What's done is done and no point worrying about how I shouldn't have taken it.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the info.

I have a few more questions now.

What do you mean by "you cannot assign USMLE scores to AOA programs?" Do you mean as in there isn't anywhere on the app that you can put down USMLE scores?

And when will these particular programs ask me if I took USMLE? Interview, or earlier?

How do I apply to only the osteopathic app? I'm trying to avoid sending out USMLE scores.

And yeah I was scoring low 200s on NBME practice tests and my scores had an upward trend so I figured I would score slightly higher on the real deal. Plus I invested so much money into it. So I decided to take it and I scored lower than expected. Oh well at least I passed. What's done is done and no point worrying about how I shouldn't have taken it.

I mean that there is no way for you to submit your USMLE scores to the osteopathic programs, at least not now. On ERAS, when you search and apply for programs, you can apply to programs through their "osteopathic" designation, in which case you will simply be unable to send them your USMLE scores (at least for now), or in the case of ACGME and dual-accredited programs, you can apply to the MD "traditional"/"categorical" designation. Dual-accredited programs will have both. If you apply to the "osteopathic" designation, you won't be able to send them the USMLE transcript.

If you're not planning to apply to ACGME programs, then you can just never release/assign your USMLE transcript in the first place.

They might ask you in interviews. Or they might not. Its very program dependent, but for IM, I imagine most won't ask.

Yeah, for future reference to anyone who reads this, the minimum cutoff for DOs to take the USMLE Step 1 and it be beneficial is 210, and in some specialties 215-220. Do not take it if you aren't hitting above that on NBMEs. Its not worth it. Swallow the $600 cost and move on.

I mean that there is no way for you to submit your USMLE scores to the osteopathic programs, at least not now. On ERAS, when you search and apply for programs, you can apply to programs through their "osteopathic" designation, in which case you will simply be unable to send them your USMLE scores (at least for now), or in the case of ACGME and dual-accredited programs, you can apply to the MD "traditional"/"categorical" designation. Dual-accredited programs will have both. If you apply to the "osteopathic" designation, you won't be able to send them the USMLE transcript.

If you're not planning to apply to ACGME programs, then you can just never release/assign your USMLE transcript in the first place.

They might ask you in interviews. Or they might not. Its very program dependent, but for IM, I imagine most won't ask.

Yeah, for future reference to anyone who reads this, the minimum cutoff for DOs to take the USMLE Step 1 and it be beneficial is 210, and in some specialties 215-220. Do not take it if you aren't hitting above that on NBMEs. Its not worth it. Swallow the $600 cost and move on.

So what you're saying is as of now, if I only apply to programs with the osteopathic designation, then I don't have to worry about submitting my USMLE score, correct?

Cool thanks! How early is an app considered "early"?

I'd be prepared to submit by July 15th. That means everything is in on your side (app, COMLEX report, PS, LORs - seriously make sure letter writers send these in, etc.). Your school will submit your transcript and the MSPE will be submitted on Oct 1st, but by then you should already have interviews.