1. Hey Guest! Check out the 3 MCAT Study Plan Options listed in the 'stickies' area at the top of the forums (BoomBoom, SN2ed, and MCATJelly). Let us know which you like best.

Also, we now offer a MCAT Test-Prep Exhibitions Forum where you can ask questions directly from the test-prep services.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
  3. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

scored 10+ in PS section and memorized eqn sheets?

Discussion in 'MCAT Discussions' started by HunterGatherer, Dec 22, 2005.

?

I scored 10+ on the MCAT and...

1. I memorized at least one equation sheet and recommend others try to as well.

19 vote(s)
    44.2%
  2. I memorized at least one equation sheet and don't recommend this for others.

3 vote(s)
    7.0%
  3. I did not bother memorizing an equation sheet and feek memorizing them is a waste.

11 vote(s)
    25.6%
  4. I did not memorize an equation sheet but think it may be a good idea to do so.

10 vote(s)
    23.3%
  1. HunterGatherer

HunterGatherer HunterGatherer
    Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    When I studied for the MCAT I read time and time again "don't memorize equations. The MCAT will give you all that you need". On the real deal I found this to be true except for maybe 3 problems or so. But I was very glad I memorized 3 equation sheets, learned what each variable meant and practiced how to quickly combine/derive formulas. It's not a lot of work if you start very early. I used 3 sheets since I wanted to cover all the equations and some equations are easier forms to memorize than others.

This seems to take very little time if you do it in the last 2 weeks of MCAT prep since you should have seen most of the equations many times by then.

Just curious of those that scored 10+ how many out there took the time to memorize at least 1 equation sheet. It's obvious that you need to understand the equations so let's not discuss that. Thanks!

Poll Typos:
    should be 10+ in PS section
    feek=feel

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Mr. Tee

Mr. Tee Indentured servant
    7+ Year Member

MD/PhD Student
    It couldn't hurt.

Most of the equations have been nailed into my memory during AP physics in high school. College physics also helped me to memorize those which I had forgotten.

4. ND2005

ND2005 1K Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I don't think I really went out of my way to repeatedly look over and memorize equation sheets, but I definitely knew most of the physics equations by heart. I think they stuck pretty well just from my physics classes. I would definitely say knowing the basic kinematics equations, and knowing things like Coulomb's law, is very beneficial. You don't want to have to spend a lot of time interpreting an equation during the MCAT.

5. RayhanS1282

RayhanS1282 perpetually percolated
    10+ Year Member

I just memorized the very basic formulas and that's it. TPR gave us this really nice formula sheet but my brain cells are limited so I couldn't commit them to memory.

6. DieselPetrolGrl

DieselPetrolGrl twisterChamp&so much more
    7+ Year Member

offtopic: is that the guy from capital one commerical..he orders something with the mango chutney??

7. MarzMD

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    No, he didnt feel like eating.

8. Pontifex Maximus

Pontifex Maximus Rads-a-palooza
    Physician 10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I think there are some basic equations you should have memorized, but it is NOT worth the effort to memorize them all.

9. jebus

jebus Membership Revoked
    Removed 5+ Year Member

I agree with cozmosis, but I'd like to add something. Understand the relationships between variables/concepts.
    "If you change X, what happens to Y"? This question comes up all the time in the PS section. (Look at some practice tests.) If you understand the concepts and how the equations relate to each other this question becomes a lot easier.

10. Nutmeg

Nutmeg Morir es vivir... morir es vivir...
    Gold Donor Classifieds Approved 15+ Year Member

Non-Student
    I'll have the roast duck, with mango-lime salsa...

11. DieselPetrolGrl

DieselPetrolGrl twisterChamp&so much more
    7+ Year Member

hahah i miss that ad :(

12. Khanal007

Khanal007 Member
    7+ Year Member

for those of you who are doing kaplan, def know the equation sheet they give u (the laminated one). I feel like when studying concepts, however, the equation is an obvious product of the concept as a whole -- so yea, many of the equations become intuitive.

13. HunterGatherer

HunterGatherer HunterGatherer
    Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
  14. Doctor Bagel

Doctor Bagel so cheap and juicy
    Moderator Emeritus 15+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    i memorized the sheet that kaplan gave us. it's easy, and yeah, can't hurt.

15. biologist3412

biologist3412 New Member

Pre-Medical
    By the time you practice enough tests, you will know those equations pretty well. You'd be surprised