scored 10+ in PS section and memorized eqn sheets?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HunterGatherer

HunterGatherer
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
When I studied for the MCAT I read time and time again "don't memorize equations. The MCAT will give you all that you need". On the real deal I found this to be true except for maybe 3 problems or so. But I was very glad I memorized 3 equation sheets, learned what each variable meant and practiced how to quickly combine/derive formulas. It's not a lot of work if you start very early. I used 3 sheets since I wanted to cover all the equations and some equations are easier forms to memorize than others.

This seems to take very little time if you do it in the last 2 weeks of MCAT prep since you should have seen most of the equations many times by then.

Just curious of those that scored 10+ how many out there took the time to memorize at least 1 equation sheet. It's obvious that you need to understand the equations so let's not discuss that. Thanks!

Poll Typos:
should be 10+ in PS section
feek=feel

Members don't see this ad.

It couldn't hurt.

Most of the equations have been nailed into my memory during AP physics in high school. College physics also helped me to memorize those which I had forgotten.

HunterGatherer said:
When I studied for the MCAT I read time and time again "don't memorize equations. The MCAT will give you all that you need". On the real deal I found this to be true except for maybe 3 problems or so. But I was very glad I memorized 3 equation sheets and practiced how to quickly combine/derive formulas. It's not a lot of work if you start very early. I used 3 sheets since I wanted to cover all the equations and some equations are easier forms to memorize than others.

This seems to take very little time if you do it in the last 2 weeks of MCAT prep since you should have seen most of the equations many times by then.

Just curious of those that scored 10+ how many out there took the time to memorize at least 1 equation sheet. It's obvious that you need to understand the equations so let's not discuss that. Thanks!

Poll Typos:
should be 10+ in PS section
feek=feel

I don't think I really went out of my way to repeatedly look over and memorize equation sheets, but I definitely knew most of the physics equations by heart. I think they stuck pretty well just from my physics classes. I would definitely say knowing the basic kinematics equations, and knowing things like Coulomb's law, is very beneficial. You don't want to have to spend a lot of time interpreting an equation during the MCAT.

I just memorized the very basic formulas and that's it. TPR gave us this really nice formula sheet but my brain cells are limited so I couldn't commit them to memory.

Members don't see this ad :)
offtopic: is that the guy from capital one commerical..he orders something with the mango chutney??

DieselPetrolGrl said:
offtopic: is that the guy from capital one commerical..he orders something with the mango chutney??

No, he didnt feel like eating.

I agree with cozmosis, but I'd like to add something. Understand the relationships between variables/concepts.
"If you change X, what happens to Y"? This question comes up all the time in the PS section. (Look at some practice tests.) If you understand the concepts and how the equations relate to each other this question becomes a lot easier.

for those of you who are doing kaplan, def know the equation sheet they give u (the laminated one). I feel like when studying concepts, however, the equation is an obvious product of the concept as a whole -- so yea, many of the equations become intuitive.