Scored lower on my MCAT than expected

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

theinlines

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So now I'm going to have to change my list. I got a 33M (P 12/ V 11/ B 10). I attend a top 10 university with a 3.9 cGPA and a 3.86 sGPA. I have very extensive research experience, decent clinical exposure, everything else is in good enough order. I had hoped to get a 35 or 36, and was going to send AMCAS out to:
Target:
Einstein
Rochester
BU
Tufts
Suny Downstate
Suny Stony Brook
Pittsburgh
Albany

Reach:
Cornell
Columbia
NYU
Mt. Sinai
Duke
Yale
Penn
Emory
Vanderbilt
WashU
Harvard
UVA
Standford
Northwestern
U Chicago

But now I'm going to need more lower tier schools :( This is SUCKS! Any suggestions? How many schools on the reach list should I even bother with anymore?

Members don't see this ad.

oh poor you. you got a 33 and scored near the 90th percentile. I can't even respond with any advice because I am so distraught for you..

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm sorry guys, I don't mean to be such a gunner. Just trying to figure out where it's in my best interest to apply.

I'm sorry guys, I don't mean to be such a gunner. Just trying to figure out where it's in my best interest to apply.
you're more than fine for the schools you listed as "target.", especially if you're a NY res

you're more than fine for the schools you listed as "target.", especially if you're a NY res

Any suggestions for more schools that could fit that "target" list for me? I would like to apply to less reach schools and more targets.

penn state, ohio state, vermont, wake forest, georgetown

Don't get caught up with people who snipe when other people happen to do well but feel they could have done better. Just understand their sentiments, that's all. You seem to be a solid applicant for the mid tier schools like USC, Georgetown, the NY schools (if you're a resident, as someone alluded to), Wake, GWU, etc. The MSAR can tell you other similar schools. Realistically speaking, you're throwing lots of time/money/energy at those top schools and you're not quite there. By all means apply to a few since it really is a crap shoot but places like Wash U/Harvard/Penn are likely unrealistic. Focus on the schools where your efforts will be fruitful. Best of luck.

Don't get caught up with people who snipe when other people happen to do well but feel they could have done better. Just understand their sentiments, that's all. You seem to be a solid applicant for the mid tier schools like USC, Georgetown, the NY schools (if you're a resident, as someone alluded to), Wake, GWU, etc. The MSAR can tell you other similar schools. Realistically speaking, you're throwing lots of time/money/energy at those top schools and you're not quite there. By all means apply to a few since it really is a crap shoot but places like Wash U/Harvard/Penn are likely unrealistic. Focus on the schools where your efforts will be fruitful. Best of luck.
thank you :)