Scored worse on Step 2 CK...worried

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
No one responded so I will help if I can, I think it depends on goals. You will get into an IM residency, quite possibly one in California if you really prioritize that. The best program? Maybe not. But there are IM programs you will be very competitive for. If others wish to back this up or comment further, please do. This is based only on my experience having interviewed.

Members don't see this ad :)
I scored worse on Step 2 CK (mid 220s). Step 1 was 240s. I want to go into IM residency back home in CA, and I go to a low-tier school out of state. My third year grades are not great (one honors, one high pass, four passes including IM). I was scoring 240s on the UWorld Step 2 self assessments, so seeing this score is making me feel like s***.

I know that Step 2 CK is more emphasized for IM and it is a better reflection of performance in residency. What can I do to improve my chances? Really worried now. :(

These are not bad scores. You should be able to match in California. Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user
N=1, but the same happened to me. I had ~10 point drop and one of my interviewers at a higher choice of mine actually brought it up. I ended up at that program.

N=1, but the same happened to me. I had ~10 point drop and one of my interviewers at a higher choice of mine actually brought it up. I ended up at that program.
Was this at a program in California? I know it's harder to get into California, but I don't know by how much.

Was this at a program in California? I know it's harder to get into California, but I don't know by how much.
Unfortunately, no. However you'll never know if they don't like to see score decreases unless you give it a shot. My advice would be to just go for it regardless. Do some research if you can, get the best letters you can, etc.

I went through residency interviews a few years ago, but you are right, unlikely to even get an interview at places such as UCSF, ucla, and Stanford. UCSD and USC are a maybe interview. I do think you would have a decent shot at places such as Loma Linda, Irvine, Davis, cedars, and ucla-harbor.

My main priority is to do residency in California. I'm just wondering what other programs I should apply to that I would have a good chance at. Would apply to programs in nearby states such as Nevada and Arizona as well.
I'm sure I don't have a shot at the top programs like UCSF and UCLA lol. I have to be realistic. But it really bums me that I did worse on this exam when I studied hard for it and my practice test scores don't reflect it....

Definitely not for UCLA, UCSF, Stanford, UCSD.

Maybe for usc, cedars, uci, harbor UCLA, although these places may use 230 on step 2 as a cutoff for interviewing l - wouldn’t surprise me. Scripps green maybe, but they will still probably interview you.

If you’re willing to sacrifice Prestige for location you should definitely apply to scripps mercy, the Kaisers, etc.

This kinda sucks cuz IM is one of the specialties that takes step 2 more seriously.

How low tier is your med school? Have they matched people to the Cali programs this year? If so, talk to them about your situation to see how it will be viewed cuz they may know insight about their screening processes.

I may also ask, did you recently find out about this score? Why did you take it so off cycle? Unless you are posting months later from last summer/fall.

Have things changed this much since I was a medical student? I thought it was only real estate prices that were so inflated in California.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm willing to go anywhere in CA at this point. Yes, people have matched to the programs you mentioned. I took Step 2 CK a few weeks ago so I just got the score recently, and I took it early in fourth year because I wanted to get it out of the way, and I thought I was doing fine since I was scoring 240s on the practice tests and 80% on my second round of UWorld questions. I really don't know how this is gonna go.

Do you mean 3rd year? Do many people in your class do it this early?

Our curriculum gives us more clinical time, so we start 3rd year and 4th year early.

Also, I just checked FREIDA and some programs list their minimum Step 1 and/or Step 2 to be considered for an interview. Assuming the info is correct and updated, I should be able to get some interviews in CA.

I was also thinking about applying to some AOA (DO residency) programs. I'm assuming those aren't as good of a choice if I want to do a fellowship in the future, but would it be a good idea to apply to those as back-ups?

Depends. Would you rather be a hospitalist or jobless? There are programs you can resort to before turning to AOA ones. It is IM so there are a ton of programs in total out there for us and enough to match into. I don't think your scores will hold you back from anything.

As for Freida, some places state like the lowest one (192). When they say minimum step 1, thats like saying minimum GPA of 3.0 to be considered for a med school. Most people with 3.2 probably still won't get in. For you it really will all depend on how seriously a PD considers the Step 2 to be. Some probably wont care. Some will care just as much about it. It will be hard to tell who will care and who won't. If you don't want to lose sleep over it, contact some upper classmates at the programs you're looking at and see if they know anything about what the PD prefers. The PD at my program cares a lot about Step 2CK. I have heard some ONLY use Step 1. I have heard some add Step 1 to Step 2 and get a combined score, I have also heard the average of the two scores is used. Just apply broadly.