Scores and Acceptances

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by Dr.Tong, Oct 29, 2002.

1. Dr.Tong

Dr.Tong Senior Member

All right, let's get down to business, let's get a thread going not only with acceptances, but with the scores and GPAs as well.

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. DoubleDoctor

DoubleDoctor Ceder Dog's Daddy

Cincy
    3.8 11 10 13 O That physics score still ticks me off. URGggggg

4. Angel_Eyes

Angel_Eyes Member

Harvard
    4.0, 12 15 15 S ...... :laugh:

Sorry ya'll couldn't help myself!! ;)

5. marq_bme

marq_bme Senior Member

SLU

9, 14, 10, Q

6. lalalala

quick question-- what gpa are you guys posting, science or overall?

7. Dr.Tong

Dr.Tong Senior Member

It's total GPA...we gotta get this thing snowballing!

8. Dr.Tong

Dr.Tong Senior Member

It's total GPA...we gotta get this thing snowballing!

9. Doctor Octopus

Doctor Octopus Hospitalist

Resident [Any Field]
    MCO, Wright
    13 9 11 Q

10. Cougarblue

Cougarblue Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    University of Virginia
    3.82, 12, 10, 13, Q

11. Woots32

Woots32 kinda funky, kinda fine

Medical Student
    Case Western, Loyola
    13/12/12/P

12. zer0el

zer0el Sports Junkie

CWRU

3.63 GPA, 11V 12P 11B S

13. GoodMonkey

GoodMonkey sproutmobile

Resident [Any Field]
    um, no, we really don't.

14. Deuce 007 MD

Deuce 007 MD license to ill

Now dats off da hizzy for shizzy. I bow down to you.
    With my lowly SLU, EVMS
    3.49, 9, 12, 15, M.

15. tryingagain

tryingagain Soon to have no life

Accepted University of Kentucky, waitlist EVMS, interview at U of L next week

3.26, 10,9,10 S

Thought I would let those mortals out there know that you don't have to have incredible scores/gpa to get into medical school. Being well-rounded is just as important. Having incredible scores is nice though. :)

16. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

17. clittle1981

clittle1981 Member

AMEN.. erin writing here, haven't been on in a while. I'll add my stats, and my roomate, cara's (original clittle1981):

cara: 3.45, 9, 9, 10 R.
    Accepted: Drexel (yesterday!)
    Waitlisted: EVMS, hold for further review til 12/15 at VCU/MCV
    Waiting post-interview: GWU, Albany, USUHS, Penn State, NYMC
    Upcoming Interview: UVM (December)

erin: 3.73, 10 11 10 S
    Accepted: UMDNJ-NJMS (in-state), GWU
    Waitlisted/Hold: UMDNJ-RWJ, Tulane
    Waiting post-interview: Rochester, Penn State, University of Minnesota-Twin Cities, University of Iowa
    Upcoming Interviews: Mt. Sinai (this week), Tufts (November)
    Declined Interviews: Einstein, NYMC, SLU, VCU/MCV, MCW, Drexel, Michigan State-CHM

18. Neil8338

Neil8338 Member

Damn, just wondering if some of you guys have ever had a beer... a girlfriend... a roadtrip... anything normal? Stats aren't everything, take that from someone who knows, Ive talked about college life at most of my interviews and we didn't talk about much of anythign else.... and for those of you that are lying about your stats under an anonymous name to fit in, that's pathetic.

My stats...
    3.55 and 31R
    accepted to columbia, ucsf, sinai
    waiting on southwestern, cornell, baylor, ucla, nyu
    interviews coming up... three texas schools, BU, and tufts

we'll all get in somewhere... an MD is an MD... just keep it real you guys. I mean no ad-com is going to see this thread and decide to accept "Mrdoc2B" into their school... ridiculous.

19. dpy

dpy Senior Member

Huh? Why do you think people are lying about their stats?

If you're talking about angel_eyes' 4.0 and 42 mcat, I certainly hope you realize that was a joke. If not, I think you need a beer yourself. :laugh:

20. Veilside

Veilside Senior Member

i thought columbia didn't send out acceptances until february.

21. Thewonderer

Thewonderer Senior Member

I thought Columbia is non-rolling. UCSF is a CA state school so it has traditionally been kind of slow in sending out acceptances as well. Mount Sinai also usu. does not start accepting people until Dec.

Bottom-line, the higher your stats, the better chances you are going to get into a school EARLY.

22. Bodybuilder

Bodybuilder Member

I find this one of the more ironic posts on SDN as this guy is LYING since UCSF does not notify until December 15 (that is the earliest date of acceptance, I've been there) and Columbia does not notify one of acceptance until February and from what a previous poster before me said, it looks like this guy's Mt. Sinai acceptance is a fraud as well.

I hope you feel stupid now - you should for coming on a forum insulting people with a post by accusing others of lying, and then obviously lying yourself.

23. Mire

Mire Member

I can't believe I am actually going to be in school with some of you freaks!!!. Get a grip will ya. No one on this earth cares about your friggen stats. Grow up, get a life, do whatever you have to do, but stop the madness. Be happy that you are going to med school and doing what you really want to do. I don't mean to be alltruistic but I can't understand why people feel the need to inflate their scores and acceptances on the internet. Moreover, I can't believe I actually responded to this thread. I can't believe I even read any of it. I guess I'm the real idiot here. My only hope is that all you anal retentive, competition obsessed, pre-meds get it together before august. Have a nice day

24. Woots32

Medical Student
    Altruistic (one "l", not two): having unselfish regard for or devotion to the welfare of others.

Based on the context of your statement, you might want to spend less time bashing people who are trying to help each other, and more time working on your vocab skills. :rolleyes:

I think the reason people are posting their stats is because we are trying to figure out where we stand in a very stressful and uncertain process. Comparing ourselves, specifically our stats, to others is one means of accomplishing this. Yeah, I think most people would agree w/ your assessment that you are the real idiot here.

25. uclachris

uclachris Doctor Doctor Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Well there are two issues here:

1) If you assume that people are collegiate, then scores only matter to yourself. Therefore if you inflate them to belittle the "competition" or spread "misinformation" you are going against the spirit of this thread.

2) The rationale of knowing the "stats" of accepted people is because people would like to know if they have a reasonable chance. This process is so absolutely random, that some sort of information puts us either at easy or into some sort of delusional frenzy. Think of it as trying to diagnosis a hematological disease with out a CBC. Not very easy. Of course, knowing the actual values (i.e. stats) does not lead to a correct or absolute diagnosis of the disease-- you need a history and physical exam as well as perhaps additional tests (LORs, ECs, Essays, Luck). But you can still make an educated guess as to what the condition is with the tests alone.

If you feel the need to cut other people for trying to be honest about their scores, that's low. You should be cutting the absolutely disgusting behavior of people who lie on here and spread misinformation.

26. TeinV

TeinV Banned
    Banned

[​IMG]

27. relatively prime

relatively prime post happy member

I think someone forgot to take their medication this morning ;)

28. Street Philosopher

welcome back Tein! :cool:

29. DW

DW Fix me some sandwiches
    Moderator Emeritus

Medical Student
    i think las vegas should set an over under line as to how many versions of Tein we will have before the end of the year. I say there will be around 17

30. uclachris

Resident [Any Field]
    ahhh... this is obviously intended at those who lie and cut other people. Yes. Save the world, Agro-Pre-Med-Liars. Please!

C

31. Mire

Mire Member

Forgive me for replying once again. However, the fact that I mistakenly added one 'l' in altruistic does not negate my point here, and I believe there is more to the meaning of altruism then you suggest. My problem is that every time I have read one of these posts it turns into a bunch of jerks posting inflated numbers. I seriously don't know very many people who got a 12,12,15 on their MCAT with a 3.98 GPA. Even if they did, what point is there in posting numbers like that. An individual with that type of score doesn't need to compare themselves to others as a method of gauging whether or not they have a chance. They are doing it to feed their ego, or out of some insane psychosic desire to deflate the enthusiasm of other students. As one poster mentioned, these types of posts help other students compare themselves. However, this isn't possible for realistic people to do when there are nothing but insanely high numbers on the board. I know there are ridiculously great scores and GPA's out there, however; I don't believe they exist in such high densities as could be inferred by reading SDN. Seriously, if people went by this post they would think only geniuses were doctors.

32. uclachris

Resident [Any Field]
    1) I clearly think that it was a joke.

2) I agree with you about pompus asses... names deleted to protect the identity of the guilty...

But the fact is that people do get those scores. The problem is when people LIE like the one about Columbia and UCSF. Those are the worst of the lot.

33. Mire

Mire Member

One more thing about grammer Woots32: Earlier you posted this. Read it carefully and you will notice a grammer error or two in your own writing. I don't believe you can have "one means of accomplishing this." I do think you can have "a means of accomplishing this."

I think the reason people are posting their stats is because we are trying to figure out where we stand in a very stressful and uncertain process. Comparing ourselves, specifically our stats, to others is one means of accomplishing this. Yeah, I think most people would agree w/ your assessment that you are the real idiot here.

This is just a reminder that if you go around correcting people's grammer, it is highly likely that you have missed the substance of what they were saying. If you would like a little instruction in this area feel free to consult the writings of Franz Boas, Benjamen Whorf, and many others who demonstrate the difference between linguistic performance and linguistic competence.

34. lola

lola Bovine Member

i got good grammer :p

35. dara678

dara678 Hello Kitty Fan

sorry to be anal retentive, but this is how you spell grammAr

36. Dr.Tong

Dr.Tong Senior Member

well, I guess this thread got out of control, eh?

37. Angel_Eyes

Angel_Eyes Member

42 S, 4.0 and HARVARD????

You all are seriously troubled if you had even the slightest thought of that being anything but a SARCASTIC JOKE!!

My lord...I even got an email from a new member on how to study for the MCAT!!! :laugh:

To all of you who thought I was being serious....like someone said before, "go get a beer"!! or better yet...take a shot of something!

GIMME A BREAK!!!

38. Angel eyes,
    the thread started on a serious note, at least thats what i think, so i dont we got ur sense of humor, at least until now.
    i actually believed u, my bad!

39. Woots32

Medical Student
    Damn, you're right! This must explain the discrepancy between my 13-15 on VR and my lowly P on the writing statement. :p Uh oh, hope that didn't look like I was trying to brag about my "overinflated" scores... ;)

All I know is that several people who are interested in attending schools I have been accepted at have asked about my stats. I know I'm curious about those who were accepted to my first choice school (UMich). So I think this thread was an attempt to get it all out in the open.

Now, why can't we all just get along and make up over a frosty pint? And if anyone was wondering if I drink, may I refer you to a few threads over in the lounge? :)

40. Nefertari

Nefertari Undercover Premed

I agree, weird syntax. Never heard altrustic used in that context before (& I used to be in the lexicology club--yes, i'm a bit of a dork). ;)

On another note, that guy who lied @ the ucsf & columbia acceptances could have at least given himself a higher mcat. (31? Come on, go all out!)

41. RachelMann

RachelMann Junior Member

I definitely think that posting stats can be overly competitive in some cases...but I am about to do it anyways...cause I think its helpful for us to have an idea of where we stack up in this process...

GPA: 3.93
    MCAT: B11 PS12 V11 S
    Undergrad: UC Berkeley
    Acceptances: UMich
    Interviews: UCSD (instate), UChicago, NYU, Cornell

Later folks...

42. mvervaine

mvervaine Senior Member

mm, sorry to burst your big turgid bubble, but no, i don't think most people would agree that woots is the real idiot. idiots waste precious bandwith yapping at other do-gooders trying to bring down their enthusiasm/happiness. woots hasn't been doing a very good job with that, unfortunately. you, on the other hand, are right on target! keep up the good work.

43. mvervaine

mvervaine Senior Member

oops. looks like i'm a bigger idiot. couldn't even figure out who was posting the quote. :p

44. Woots32

Medical Student
    So wait, am I the idiot? Sorry, my verbal skills just aren't up to par. ;)

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

45. Dr.Tong

Dr.Tong Senior Member

I too don't understand that one, could you dumb it down a little?

46. mvervaine

mvervaine Senior Member

:laugh: sorry guys.

i was responding to MIRE's post in defense of WOOTS, but it turns out to not be MIRE's quote (it was WOOTS' quote).
    (i thought mire was calling woots an idiot but it was actually woots calling mire an idiot)
    :p

47. uclachris

Resident [Any Field]
  48. Dr.Tong

Dr.Tong Senior Member

wow, I'm even more confused, I'll think about that one and get back to you

49. Woots32

Medical Student
    :laugh: :love: :laugh:

50. Dr.Tong

Dr.Tong Senior Member

Okay, so now that we have that out of the way...this thread was supposed to be a collection of stats for those of you who were interested (for whatever reason, to guage your place, to see what others are doing, or just plain fun), not a forum on grammar and the literary competence or whatever of whoever was brought up, I can't frickin remember right now...anyway, if you want to post em, then feel free, if you're against it, then just skip by the thread. all right, i said enough

51. mikecwru

mikecwru M.D. = Massive Debt

Attending Physician
    Jesus, I would reject all of you and send you to the deepest, darkest depths of nurse's aid school.

Why don't you start a thread on penis size. I bet that's inversely proportional to your verbal score.

Gotta warn you though, I got like a 4 on the verbal.

<snicker>

mike

52. Angel_Eyes

Angel_Eyes Member

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: