scores hurt future chances???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrMunns2Be

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I fell victim to the MCAT this past April, but I am not giving up! I will study, study, and study some more for this August. BUT, I wanted to know how these scores would hurt me right now. I am still filling out my amcas application, I plan on sending it off in the next month, but I wonder if schools will look at my first set of scores and just throw me aside? I do not feel that horribly low score represents my potential at all, but I am scared admission committees will just see them, laugh, and send all of my information to the shredder. Does this question make sense? :confused:

Members don't see this ad.

Ummmm...what are your scores?

I was not close to the average given on the little score explanation sheer...I will just leave it at that. I took Kaplan, and my average scores there were WELL above my actual score. The only surprise was getting an R in the writing, which is the part I thought I bombed miserably. I sure was wrong!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hiya Doc.

When you fill out your AMCAS application, you designate that you'll be taking the August test. As far as I know, when most schools see that, they'll automatically throw your application into the "Hold for August Scores" pile and wait to review it until then.

You might get some secondary applications automatically (some schools don't pre-screen), but even these schools won't review your application until your file is complete, and that means when the August scores have arrived.

Best of luck on your re-take! Hope it goes better for you.
:( :( :( :( :( :( :( :)

Thank you for the encouragement! I am already back to the daily grind of reading, practicing, and working on my timing. I am praying for nothing less than straight 10's! :cool:

Well, I'm in the exact same boat. I made a LOW MCAT score, one which definitely does not reflect my academic nature. I talked to advisors, and they said that with the summer schedule I have now, I would not have adequate time to prepare for the August MCAT, so I should just focus on getting my application in as early as possible. They said that a lot of schools do look at things other than MCAT. That's what I'm hoping for!

Any suggestions on which schools to consider (lower tier), aside from your obvious state institution(s)?